To keep myself from typing out an essay about how I would kill him, I open my conversation with Michael instead. I haven't spoken to him in a while, mainly because of what happened with Cooper. He'd have a rational view of the whole situation.

Part of me thinks that maybe if he yells at me about it, I'll fight the urge to tell Ethan off. Or maybe he'll even encourage me.

I need your help.

It doesn't take him long to respond, when don't you?

F*ck off. Peter is Ethan.

Who is Ethan?

Am I missing something?

I breathe out a heavy sigh and Maddie stirs in her sleep. I put my phone down and watch for any signs of a nightmare before picking it back up.

As much as I am grateful for being the only one Maddie trusts to tell everything to, now is not the time. This would be the perfect time for me to have Maddie's dad's number so I could ask him what to do.

Actually, I know just what he'd say. I don't think he has a very rational view of the situation, either.

Ethan is the guy who hurt Maddie, I try to stay vague about it, not wanting to picture what he did to her. If I do that, there's no doubt I would get in my car the next chance I get and drive to New York.

Who's Peter?

I sigh again. This is what I get for not talking to Michael very much in the past month.

My friend from online.

So you're friends with the asshole who hurt Maddie?

Wait.

What the f*ck.

whATEH THE F*CK.

I lift my free hand from Maddie's side and run it through my hair. It's practically wet with sweat and now that I can focus on myself, my entire body is shaking. I don't have a single blanket covering me, but I feel like I'm laying in the middle of the desert.

so not only did this dick lie to me about everything, he completely messed Maddie up.

I can just feel the disbelief Michael is in as he types back, mostly because I felt the same way. I'm feeling the same way. Except much, much more intense.

didn't you say you talked to him before we were in the hospital?

I nod, thinking he could see me, but I don't get the chance to respond before I'm throwing my phone beside me in frustration.

I talked to him about what happened with Hannah, about how she told everyone I forced myself on her. I was lost and afraid, and I had absolutely no clue how to handle the false alligation.

Ethan helped me get out of it.

Because he said he went through the same thing himself.

I could throw up my insides right now if it didn't mean getting up and most likely startling Maddie awake. This can't be happening. I didn't get advice from the same guy who hurt the girl I'm in love with.

My phone buzzes again next to me and I stifle a groan, staring hopelessly up at the ceiling. Why does everything I do turn to shit, over and over again?

I don't want to ask for permission anymore. I need to fix this.

I reluctantly pick my phone up again anyway, looking at the notification.