Chapter 2

By the time I get ready for my first social event of my return to Ohio, Cooper is standing by the door with his arms crossed, probably annoyed out of his mind. It's not my fault I missed having my own shower or that I wanted to go through all the clothes I left here. Or that I have no concept of time anymore.

"Maddie, could you hurry the fuck up?" He calls up the stairs to me as I scurry around my room to find a pair of shoes to go with my sundress. I don't know why I care so much. After all, it's just Cooper's friends. But I picked up on some horrible habits in California and caring what people thought of how I looked is one of them.

I rush down the stairs, pulling the back of my shoe over my heal and practically tripping and falling to my death. Cooper stifles a laugh at me as he opens the door and I give myself one last look in the mirror before following him outside.

When we're back in his car, I really hope he doesn't speed again. I'm assuming the bonfire isn't that far away, but we are late so there's a good chance that he will.

To my surprise, once he pulls out of the driveway he actually drives at the speed limit. As soon as we get on the main road, he starts talking to me rapidly, never keeping his eyes from being focused on what's in front of him.

"Okay, I don't even know why you came because there's going to be drinking and most likely drugs and other things your sorry ass doesn't like."

I turn to him with mock surprise, even though I really had no clue this bonfire would involve stuff like that. I should have known. That was probably why he seemed like he was hiding something. I mean, what else could it have been that he didn't want my mom to know?

"Wow, for a second there I thought you maybe cared about me," I tease him to try to hide my surprise and he laughs. Not with me, but at me.

"No, I just know you're about to be a buzzkill."

I sit up straight in my seat as he says this, feeling offended even though I know it too. I'd tried so hard not to be a 'buzzkill' when I moved and it just made things worse. So maybe I'm not so much offended than confused on what I'm supposed to do.

"I am not," I whine and he shoots me a look that says 'you're being one right now.' We pull into the parking lot of our destination before I can try to defend myself further.

"I guess we'll see," he mumbles, pulling the keys out of the ignition and jumping out of the car. I rush to get out too, because I know if I didn't he would leave me in there alone again.

I hurry to his side as he walks toward the fire and he shoots me an odd look. Right, I'm here with him but that doesn't mean he wants me with him. Allowing there to be more space between us, I rub my arms and look at my feet as I walk. Mentally, I scold myself for not bringing a jacket. It's 20 degrees colder here right now than in California.

We approach the group in no time and Cooper makes no effort to introduce me. I scan around the circle to see that all of the faces are vaguely familiar. At least I know everyone here, I think.

Cooper scoots in close to his girlfriend, Lily, and wraps his arm around her. She leans her head on his shoulder with a smile and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I forgot Cooper got everything. He's the one with the friends and long-term girlfriend and perfect life. I'm left with nothing but sweaty palms and the realization that I'm not wanted here.

I didn't notice that I haven't sat down yet, but I'm sure no one else noticed either. While someone hands Cooper a plastic cup that I assume is filled with beer, I sit quietly between him and one of his friends.

The night has barely started and I'm already sure that I shouldn't have come. No one is going to talk to me anyway, and I'm definitely not drinking. So I will just have to sit here bored out of my mind for however long Cooper wants to be here.