Chapter 57

==Ashton's POV==

Opening my top drawer, I push aside my underwear and grab one of the various pill bottles inside. I have medication for anxiety, depression, you name it. This one is the best.

It's the only one I actually like opening. I like to call it my own, personally prescribed medical marijuana.

I throw it into my alcohol-filled backpack and zip it shut. When I pick it up, I have to make sure nothing rattles. Mom and Harry are downstairs making dinner and if I make any suspicious noises, I'll have to stay here.

I'm safe, no doubt. I've done this too many times before.

I'm down the stairs and out the door in a flash, before I have to say more than goodbye. At least I told my mom that I would be going out, but I feel bad.

Cooper called me earlier in the afternoon to tell me that I can come over to his place, rather than our original plan. He, of course, knows how much my mom would kill me if she found us drunk off our asses, even if we weren't disrupting anything.

I wouldn't be in any condition to help them make food, either, but at least I would be here. Maybe Cooper would have even wanted to help instead.

Nah, he definitely needs to get f*cked. If not by Lily, at least by drugs and alcohol.

I'd give him some of my Xanax too, but I don't want either of us to get too messed up anymore. I mean, Maddie will be there.

At least that's what I realize when I'm on my way to their house.

Has Cooper finally accepted that she's going to be hanging around with us eventually? It's not likely, but I wish.

Things would be a lot easier for me if they got along.

He's probably banished her to her room, or something. But she's still going to be there and I still get horny when I'm drunk.

Pulling into their driveway, I unbuckle my seatbelt and reach over to the passengers seat to grab the backpack.

As soon as I do, my phone buzzes over and over and I stop. I can't help but roll my eyes when I see that it's Michael.

What are you doing?

Are you with Cooper yet?

Can I call you?

This is urgent.

I'm at his place now, I type out quickly. I highly doubt there's anything too urgent he could have to tell me at this point.

I already know his best friend is f*cking insane.

And if he's dying, he has her to call.

My phone buzzes again in my hands.

Can I call you?

I'd rather you not, I start to type, but a loud thump comes from right in front of me and I jump, dropping my phone into my lap.

I look up to see a soccer ball bouncing off my windshield and Cooper chuckling from in front of the garage. Tucking my phone in my pocket, I open my door. Ignoring Mikey is a better option, since I don't get in any arguments with him that way.

"You could've broken my windshield, asshole," I laugh, slinging the backpack over my shoulder.

I pick the ball up and throw it back at him. Instead of catching it, he flinches away from it and it lands in one of the bushes. We ignore it and he lets me inside.