Chapter 53

==Ashton's POV==

I skid into the only open parking spot in the entire lot and check the time. 2:27pm. That means I have three minutes to get back inside and in front of Maddie's study hall door before she goes to her locker.

Actually, I have no idea why I rushed so much back to the school. There's no reason I had to -- no way am I going back to class, and I'm Maddie's only ride home. I always meet her by her locker, which I could have planned to do rather than changing things up. I'm a mess.

I guess I'm just nervous.

Today's the actual day, the day of the date I finally found inspiration to plan after Michael left. And I don't think I've been more nervous for anything in my life. I mean, this is the first date I've ever been on that's an actual date. I could have screwed up big time. I probably did.

I told my mom that I wouldn't skip any school to plan this, but f*ck that. It's the day before Thanksgiving break, and it's not like we were going to do anything in any of my classes.

So I got through first and second period, just to go to Chemistry and see Maddie so she wouldn't get worried or suspicious, and then I got out of there. There would have been no way I could have gotten away with what I planned without skipping, anyway.

I pull my backpack from the passanger seat and take a deep breath before abandoning the safety of my car. Why wasn't I this nervous when I was surprising her a few months ago? I didn't even think she liked me, then.

Pulling the doors of the school open, there's a short moment where I almost turn around and hide away in my car. But that wouldn't do me any good, considering the fact that leaving Maddie stranded at school would definitely not put me on better terms with her.

If I need to give up, I just won't take her on the date. She wouldn't know the difference; it's a surprise.

I grab my phone from my pocket as I speed-walk down the hall toward her classroom. I still have one minute before the bell rings, so I'd say I'm doing pretty well.

As soon as I get to the room and lean against the wall beside the door, I let out my breath. On cue, the bell rings just as I take another breath in and I watch while everyone files out of the classroom.

Luke passes me first and eyes me curiously, as if my girlfriend isn't in this same study hall. I sneer at him without thinking and he looks away, hitching his backpack up on his shoulder and continuing to walk without a word. Good choice, fuckboy.

One word from him would just be another reason to add to my list of reasons I could bash his f*cking head in.

Maddie is the last one to leave, only worrying me a little before she comes from the doorway quietly, wiping her eyes. She's obviously tired, but perks up at the sight of me. At least, thankfully, I can still have that affect on her.

"Hey," I say, "You okay?"

We turn and head down the hall, "Yeah, I just took a nap."

"Oh," I say. For some reason, I can't think of a single thing to say now. I'm still so worried about making this afternoon great for her. Great enough to make her trust me again.

She pulls her hair slowly up into a ponytail while she walks. There's an obvious frown on her face, which is going to make this whole endeavor ten times harder.

"You'd think I wouldn't have any nightmares while sleeping for 45 minutes," she sighs, "but that's not the case."

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask. She opens up her locker and starts to take books out one by one, all in slow motion. Or at least it feels that way.