Chapter IX

"Is it true Essie?" I asked four days after we visited with Zoridia, hope filling my soul, "have we finally reached the capital?"

"Yes, my friend," Essie replied with a smile as she sat proudly atop her horse, "we have survived our journey here, and now another lays ahead of us."

I glanced at Adar and noticed he was watching me with a smile, "what?" I quired.

"I was just thinking how much you look like a princess right now," he said gently.

I smiled and dropped my gaze.

"Come on you both," Essie smiled, kicking her horse into a trot, "we mustn't tarry here, we are not yet safe."

"But can we merely walk into the capital without being recognised?" I asked.

"Of course, we will enter under the guise of travellers, you forget we have been on the move for weeks," Essie explained, "we don't need much help to look like vagabonds."

"Wait," Adar called, "you are still identifiable by your hair."

The archer reached into his saddlebag and took out a dark green blanket, pulling his horse alongside mine he reached up and placed the shawl over my head.

"Better," he declared as I adjusted the cloth to cover my locks, "let us enter the city now."

I nodded and followed behind my friends as we rode, my heart pounding as I looked at the buildings, great fountains and flowerbeds, and of course the huge castle rising out of the distance. Some things were recognisable to me, but not everything, yet I marvelled at it all. I knew that this place would have been far grander when my father was ruling, but even so, it was beautiful.

"I know of a house where we can stay," Essie said softly, "a safe place to plan the revolt, come."

I pulled on my horse's left rein as I followed her down the main street into the centre of town. Not long after we came to an elegant yet neat home along the main street. It was encompassed with beautiful flowers and had a quaint cobblestone path that led up to the red door.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"One of four safe houses in the city," Essie explained, dismounting her horse, "around the back are horse stables, Adar if you would be so kind as to lead our mounts over there I would be grateful."

"Of course," the archer answered, jumping from his horse as I prepared to do the same.

I had just swung my legs over Freedom's back when I felt two hands on my back, which skillfully helped me glide to the ground.

I turned around and poked Adar's arm, "do not treat me like a princess," I protested with a giggle, "I hardly am one."

He took the reins from me and began to leed Freedom and the other two horses to the stables, "no you are right," he stated, making me frown in confusion, "you are a queen."

I rolled my eyes at his antics and followed Essie up the path to the red door of the house, "Essie?" I asked, "do you think, after this war is over, and that is assuming we win; do you think that any man will want to marry me?"

Essie raised her eyebrows at me, "where is this coming from?"

"I just feel that no one will want to marry me for love, they will only want to become rich," I admitted, "I do not think I will ever find anyone, they will all try to fool me."

Essie merely laughed gently and shook her head, "what is so amusing?" I asked.

"You do not see what is right in front of your face my darling," she smiled, and knocked in a pattern on the door, twice together, once separate and three times together.

Adar then returned from the stables and waited with us on the doorstep. I cleared the nonsense thoughts from my mind as a voice came from behind the wood, "in a storm we must put down."

"An anchor to save the people," Essie answered, and I guessed it was a code, for as soon as she spoke, a creaking sound came and the door opened. Inside stood a blonde, middle-aged woman with kind blue eyes, eyes which lit up and turned wide as she saw us.

"Come, come in quickly," she ordered, ushering us all inside, quickly closing the door behind us she began, "oh Essie what a joy to see you, my friend!"

Essie smiled and nodded, "you as well."

"Oh, you have returned!" The woman exclaimed, "I worried over you every night!" She then fell silent as she turned to me, in an almost fearful voice she commanded, "remove your shawl child."

I pulled it from my head and watched as the woman beamed with happiness, "oh it is you! Let me look at you! Oh, my dear! You have come back to us, just we need you the most, oh thank you for having the courage to return home."

I smiled, "it is my duty."

"Well, let me get you all something to eat," she stated hurrying to the kitchen.

I turned to Essie, "she is kind, who is she?"

"Her name is Gisela Westbrook," Essie explained, "she and her husband William are loyal to you and your father. William was your father's advisor after the king died he famed loyalty to the dark prince, and so was able to remain in his position inside the castle."

"Westbrook," I echoed, "that is the name my nurse gave to me the first night we fled from Argaland."

Essie smiled, "and a fitting name it is."

Suddenly there was a patterned knock on the door, the same that Essie had done upon entering. Gisela came from the kitchen and called, "in a storm, we must put down."

"An anchor to save the people," a deep voice returned, causing Gisela to unlatch the door for a noble-looking man, his greyed hair and beard showed wisdom, and his eyes were gentle.

"You have finally arrived princess," he said softly, "I am William Westbrook, it is wonderful to see you again, although I am sure you do not remember me," he said with a chuckle, "you were not more than an infant, and my, what a fine young woman you have grown to be."

I smiled, "thank you, I am glad to be back."

"Let me explain what has been unfolding the past ten years," William stated, offering me a seat on one of the wooden chairs, "in your absence, Gisela and I have been gathering knowledge of the dark prince. I work as his advisor, I give him advice, not my best, but enough to keep him from being suspicious. I secretly gain information, and after ten years I am starting to understand how he thinks."

"That's wonderful," I replied, "what else has been happening? Essie told me that the people were ready for a revolt."

"Aye, they are," Gisela added, entering the room with some food for us all, "but not all of them know it yet."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"They all have the same fire in their hearts to fight for the kingdom, but for some, fear clouds their judgment," Gisela explained, "so I go out into town every day to ignite their hearts for the revolt. But we only have a few hundred souls, we just can't seem to muster enough courage."

"Are there other people like you and your husband, ones who the townspeople can look up to?" I asked.

"The Westbrooks are two of five leaders amongst the people Amirah," Essie joined in, "I am one of them, we are recognised as beacons of light and hope. We work on planning a revolt, but we need a spark to ignite the passion in the people, that's why I went to get you. We can now tell the people of your return and gain hundreds more for the cause."

"How do you know who to tell?" I asked.

Gisela smiled, "do you remember the phrase we must say to enter this house? Do the same for whoever you meet, you will quickly tell friend from foe. You three will all go out tomorrow, we must stir up the people's hearts quickly, for I fear that now you have arrived we will only have but a few months before the dark prince finds out."