~~ Expect the Unexpected ~~

~~ Gabriele ~~

~~ Gabriele ~~

Why was I here again?

I didn't have a clue why I'd let my Ma talk me into visiting my ass-wipe brother. Hadn't spoken with him for two years, not since that night. I stopped at the hospital entrance, my jaw flexing.

My eyes briefly closed as the image of my curled fist connecting with his face replayed in vivid colour and stereo sound.  My mouth kicked up in a half grin. Not typically a violent person, the cracking of his nose that night had brought a slither of satisfaction. He had deserved it.  Hell, he'd deserved a lot more than I'd given him.

Five minutes. Five minutes and I can be outta there.

I shook my head and headed inside.   

Game face Gabe.  Right.  Grit my teeth, wish him a speedy recovery, and restrain the urge to throttle him. Then text and report back to Ma, that I had done what she asked.

Reminding myself I was only doing this as she stated it was her dying wish that her 'boys' mend the bridge—a bridge that had never been in use. And that was the only reason I let her manipulate me... my own mother!

It's my dying wish, son.

Ma, you ain't dying anytime soon.

We're all dying, Gabe. And I'm a little closer to those pearly gates than I was yesterday. So make your old mother happy and make up with your brother. He needs you. More than you know.

Hmm, doubtful. Tony had needed no one but himself. Selfish egotistical bastard only cared about himself. Self-centred asshole was an understatement when referring to my brother. The only relationship he didn't mess withwas his reflection.

Let's get this over with.

The air conditioning in the hospital foyer was a little overeager. It was more like a blustery winter chill than a cooling summer breeze, not that I minded. I looked around. Spotting the sign for the elevators, I headed that way. Rounding the corner, my phone vibrated in my back pocket, distracting me for a second.   

Shit!  I collided into a small, dark-haired woman.

"Damn, sorry—" I stopped as a wave of something familiar tickled my nose, igniting the memory I'd tried to so many times to disregard. It had been over four years since I last inhaled that unforgettable smell and I could never mistake or erase it... warm apples.

Her head raised abruptly.

"Jenna?"   I had stupidly assumed coming in at this time of day would have been safe.

Ma had said he didn't allow visitors in the early afternoon as physio would tire him out. Diddums! Precious little man, needed his sleep.

Therefore, I was hoping he would have been too worn out and not  want to see me, and this visit could have been done and dusted within minutes. 

BittersweetOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara