chapter four

i quickly settle down and try to get the thought of joe jonas sitting next to me out of my mind. it was the first time i'd ever sat or talked to an actual celebrity; which was weird since i'd been touring with my dad for so long. but it was true; this was the very first time that my dad and i had taken a flight with the artists to the concert venu, but we did this time since the jonas brothers were already in chicago. maybe this tour wouldn't be so bad, if i actually had people to talk to. 

thirty minutes into the flight, i'm changing my mind about having people to talk to. joe hasn't said a word and a glance around the aircraft tells me nearly everyone is fast asleep. joe's listening to music with his eyes closed but i can't tell if he's sleeping or not. 

just then, the intercom crackles with static and i sit up a little to hear the announcement. "alright, ladies and gentlemen! it's just a little past noon now, and lunch is about to be served. we will land in an hour." the captain says, and from the front of the aircraft, i can see the flight attendants coming down the aisle pushing the cart filled with drinks and food. i assume joe's sleeping because he hasn't opened his eyes. 

as the air stewardess comes closer and closer, handing out drinks and taking food orders, joe is still fast asleep, his head hanging lower as he sleeps soundly. "what can i get for you?" the air stewardess asks politely as she approaches, smiling widely- a fake smile, for sure. she hands me the menu and i decide between the two options they have. "okay, and do you know what he would like?" she asks, glancing between joe and i. how was i supposed to know? i'd met him barely two hours ago. "uhh, no, sorry. maybe i can wake him up?" i didn't want to, but the air stewardess whose name tag reads "chloe" seems to be getting impatient. "yes, please" chloe says quickly, looking down the aisle to see how many more people she needed to serve. i hesitantly tap joe on the shoulder but he doesn't even stir. "joe" i say quietly, and he grunts but doesn't wake up. this time i shake his shoulder a little and he finally opens his eyes, rubbing them as he looks around in confusion. even with chloe breathing down his neck to get him to order a meal, all i see is how adorable he is with his messy hair and small smile. 

"i'm a deep sleeper" joe states once the air stewardess is gone. i laugh. "yeah, i can tell" i say, and he nudges me playfully with his shoulder. i chuckle at the friendly gesture, not knowing what else to do. he rubs his eyes again and turns to me. "sooo" he starts, "why are you here?"