97 || Run

Puppets P.O.V.

My knees buckled as I came in contact with the ground and I fell into the dust and dirt, skidding to a stop on my side. I rolled onto my stomach and propped myself up on my uninjured arm.

My head was throbbing, and even through I was laying motionless on the ground, it still felt like the world was swaying beneath me.

So many of my souls were being destroyed, so much work pointlessly wasted. All because that flaming piece of garbage had to show up and knock us out of the sky.

I sucked in air through my gritted teeth. The adrenaline I had from the initial fight was fading, soon the full extent of my injuries would catch up to me.

Even though my vision was blurring around the edges, I could see Endeavor land and start approaching me.

I went to stand, but quickly fell back down onto one knee. I needed to move.

'Get up!' I yelled at myself.

'GET UP!!'

I managed to get both my feet under me and stand, but I was wobbly. I hoped I didn't look as bad as I felt.

I looked up at Endeavor.

"You have two options..." I spoke breathlessly, "either you knock me unconscious, or you kill me, 'cause I ain't going willingly."

"That's fine." He responded simply.

I sighed in exhaustion.

———

I blacked out for a moment as I slammed hard into the building behind me. My ribcage had taken a majority of the impact and it was excruciatingly painful. When I came back to awareness, I found myself on the ground, sitting slumped against the wall.

I hadn't even hit him before he had launched me backwards. He was fighting to win, that was apparent.

I felt blood dripping slowly down my face from my forehead. I lifted up my hand in a daze to check how bad it might've been. My hand came away with the expected red fluid, not too much, but that didn't make it any more preferable.

I realized with a start that my mask wasn't on my face. I quickly looked around, locating the ceramic face-covering on the ground a few feet away. It must've just gotten knocked off.

I picked it up, noticing that the mask had cracked from the top down to the left eyehole. It didn't matter, it was still the same old mask. My trademark. So I put it back on.

I put my hand against the wall and used it to help me stand. I would've stayed there for a minute, just to catch my breath, but I didn't have the luxury. My legs felt numb beneath me, my arms ached from blocking hits and taking burns.

I had no choice. I needed to run.

Endeavor had knocked me so far back that I had the chance to. I likely wasn't going to get an opportunity like this again, so I had to take it.

I pushed myself around the corner and along the side of the building, using the wall for support as I tried to make my way away from the heroes. Every step my injuries ached and my heart pounded.

"Puppet?" I looked up, there stood someone I was relieved to see: Compress.