тwenтy

"I told you this prank wasn't a good idea," Ari said, looking down at Jared, who had just fallen out of a tree and landed on Aidyn

"What in the moons, man?" Aidyn groaned, shoving Jared off him.

"Seemed like a good idea at the time," Jared said.

"You're lucky you didn't knock Aidyn right into the fire," Kei scolded.

Jared looked at her confusedly. "But you were helping m..." She held a finger to her lips.

"Anyways, Kei, you got interrupted from telling your story," Ari said, effectively changing the subject.

"They all died. The end!" Kei finished cheerfully. Ari sighed.

Settling back onto his log, Jared asked, "So, how'd you all end up in my village-in-the-middle-of-nowhere? I mean, you're an odd bunch."

"I fell out of a tree," Aidyn said, and offered no other explanation.

"Ha! So, you've done it too!" Jared exclaimed.

"More specifically, he fell out of my tree," Kei added.

"Sure, that clears everything up all right," Jared said sarcastically. "Where are you guys going? What are you looking for? Details, people, details!"

Ari spoke up, "We're looking for the sources."

"Alright, looking for a bunch of legends. Sounds fun!" Jared said.

"It's complicated," Aidyn said.

"I like complications. Makes things more interesting."

"Here's the simple version: I stole a map to the sources and ditched the Voc, didn't bring enough bagels, fell out of Kei's tree, Kei brought Ari, we ended up in your village, Ari got arrested, and you know the rest." Aidyn ranted.

Jared neglected to comment on the bagels. "Was Ari just near Kei's tree when suddenly Kei showed up and was like, 'Congratulations! You're coming with me'?"

"Well... you're not that far off, but no." Kei replied. "Ari, are you okay with explaining how we know each other?"

"I guess..." Ari trailed off.

Kei placed her hand on Ari's shoulder. "You don't have to if you don't want to."

Ari sighed. She disliked talking about her biological family and her past, but if Jared was going to tag along with them, she might as well. After all, she didn't know how long the little group of theirs was going to be together, it could be years for all she knew.

"I'll explain," she said. "Caela children learn to fly at around age six or seven. I was seven when I first started leaving my nest without my parents. One day, I flew a little farther than usual..."

。・゚゚・。

Seven-year-old Ari leaped off the mountain edge and soared above the forest. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, it was a perfect day. She swooped down and perched on a tree branch, settling in place and letting the sun soak into her skin and feathers. A reddish squirrel caught her attention, scampering through the branches of the next tree over. Her gaze drifted upward, and a cloud of something gray above the trees became apparent. She sniffed and wrinkled her nose.