21. "ɪ'ᴍ ᴋɪᴅᴅɪɴɢ, ɪᴡᴀ-ᴄʜᴀɴ."

Start from the beginning

Oikawa clicked his tongue. "No no, not that. I think your phone's ringing."

He paused, listening for the sound of his ringtone. Looking around, he followed the sound until he found the source.

"It's your phone," he said, picking up the device. "Mr. Mori's calling."

"Don't answer."

"Are you sure? It might be important."

Oikawa flopped down on the couch and waved his hand dismissively. "He's probably just wondering why I'm not home. Not important."

"Shouldn't you at least let him know you're with me? I don't want the special forces to show up or something."

"As if," scoffed the brunette. "It's fine. Witch put a tracker on my phone some time ago, so they always know where I'm at."

"That's considerate of her."

"Mhm."

Iwaizumi glanced down at the ringing phone again and then decided to mute it. He walked over to where Oikawa was sitting and fell back next to the male.

They sat quietly for a few minutes, just enjoying the other's presence, until he broke the silence.

"Is everything really okay?"

Oikawa side-eyed him. "Lie or no lie?"

He rubbed his eyes tiredly. The weight of the day was finally crashing down on him. "No lie, please."

There was a long pause, and Iwaizumi thought for a second that Oikawa had fallen asleep.

But when he looked over, the brunette was awake.

A little dazed though, he thought.

He waved a hand over Oikawa's glazed eyes. "Earth to 'Kawa."

The brunette snapped out of it and playfully smacked his hand away. "You give the worst nicknames," Oikawa said, pouting.

"I think that's a lie," he replied, smirking.

"Check your wrist," challenged Oikawa.

Iwaizumi put his hands up in defeat. "I'll pass, maybe next time."

They both laughed until it lapsed back to silence. Iwaizumi shifted his weight, beginning to feel a bit tense.

"Iwa-chan."

He immediately snapped his attention to Oikawa. "Yes?"

"I think.. Well, I was thinking- what if I—"

Iwaizumi nodded encouragingly, beckoning the brunette to go on.

"Well, what if I.." Oikawa paused hesitantly. Then he took a deep breath. "What if I talkedwithMrs.Moriandsolvethingsbetweenusandbecomeanactualfamilyagain."

Iwaizumi blinked, trying to process the words that Oikawa had spitted out in a flash.

Talk.. Mrs. Mori.. solve.. family..

"Talk with Mrs. Mori?" He questioned. "Wait, what do you mean, talk?"

Oikawa fidgeted with the hem of his shirt. "I mean like, talk things through with her about everything. The past, her miscarriage, Mr. Mori, me..." the male trailed off.

Iwaizumi didn't want to say it because of how hopeful his soulmate appeared, but he figured someone had to.

"Oikawa," he started, taking ahold of the brunette's hands, "talking alone isn't going to solve all yours problems. She's been abusing you for years; a simple conversation won't solve everything you've gone through."

"I-I know!" interjected Oikawa. "But after talking with you about them, I felt like maybe we had a shot at being a family again. After I told you everything, I felt like most of the issues were caused by misunderstandings. Like how Mrs. Mori thought Mr. Mori was cheating and stuff like that, ya know?"

"I see your point, but Oikawa," he faltered, searching for the rights words. "What if.. Mrs. Mori won't listen? She's been so neglectful of you."

The little hope on Oikawa's face fell, and Iwaizumi wished that he hadn't said anything.

"You don't think she'll listen?" asked the brunette quietly.

He scratched his head. "I-I'm not sure. I don't know her that well besides from what you've told me. I mean, maybe?"

"But Oikawa, why are you suddenly so interested in talking with her? Is it because of what happened?"

The brunette slowly nodded. "Yeah. When I saw her lying in the road, I kind of realized how short our lives are. She could've died tonight, and I wouldn't have gotten to say anything to her."

Iwaizumi still felt dubious of the whole thing.

"I understand that, but you can't just forgive her after everything she's done to you," he argued. "Who says she's going to change even if you guys talk?"

Oikawa scowled. "I never said I was going to forgive her that fast. And I don't know! If she doesn't change, th-then I'll figure something out! I just want to talk to her, that's all."

"But—"

"Iwaizumi, why are you so against this?"

He froze at the use of his full name. Why was he so against this? He bit his lip, trying to think of an answer—

"Do you think this is useless?" asked Oikawa.

"No no, it's just- some people won't change, and I don't think you understand that." He said.

The brunette scoffed, "I don't understand? I think I know that better than anyone, Iwaizumi. Mr. Mori never changed his ways despite his soulmate going through absolute hell by herself!

"And take me, for instance. I lie a lot, I know that, but whenever I try to change that, I can't! I keep lying over and over again, and I can't change that! I know change, Iwaizumi, and you can't tell me that I don't."

"I'm not trying to argue with you, Oikawa," he said through gritted teeth. "I'm just saying this might not be the best idea."

Steam was starting to blow from the brunette's head. "Argh! Why don't you understand? I thought out of everyone, you would be the most supportive. I thought you would support me!"

"I do support you, Oikawa," he snapped. "And I'll always support you, but you're not listening to—"

"WELL, I'M LISTENING NOW!" roared the brunette.

Iwaizumi was about to lose his shit.

Instead he took a deep breath and counted to five in his head while Oikawa stared at him impatiently.

"I don't want to see you hurt again, okay? I think you should talk with her and Mr. Mori, too. But I just think that now is too soon. I think you should wait a bit and maybe distance yourself for the time being."

Iwaizumi thought that maybe Oikawa would understand his reasons, but his soulmate was shaking his head.

"No, Iwa, you still don't get it," said Oikawa, exasperatedly. "She almost died because of me. If I wait now, then what if she's gone tomorrow? I can't afford time like that."

"And I totally understand that," he said softly. "Tomorrows are never guaranteed, but sometimes you just have to believe that the sun will rise again, and they'll be there to see it. Mr. Mori said that she was fine; she was in stable condition. I think it's basically certain that there'll be a lot of tomorrows for Mrs. Mori."

"You really think so?"

He smiled. "I do. I swear on it."

Good thing he didn't swear anything on it 😼