Chapter Forty-Six

The summer sky was bright as always, making it almost impossible to guess it was reaching nighttime. The first night of July, when it was supposed to be warm and the people free from the clutches of responsibility. 

But for the witches and wizards of Britain, the responsibility seemed to grow ever larger. People were becoming frightened, because only the night before had Albus Dumbledore, the only man feared by a wizard so dark they didn't dare speak his name, had been killed. 

People were frightened, scared so much that they did not dare leave their homes unless they had a good reason. Nobody knew what would come next. The ones who'd already lived through a war could feel it brewing once again, warning those who had not. 

That's what made it strange that the shape of a woman, one with long, light auburn hair on top of her head and a fringe covering her forehead, moved throughout a small wizarding village. Some looked out their windows as they watched someone pass by, hoping it was no Death Eater out to kill their family. Many had already lost family to them before. 

She reached the outline of a shabby house, which almost looked abandoned. The lights were on,  so somebody was home and living there. But whoever that was, they hadn't been much home lately by the look of the state of the house. 

The auburn-haired woman reached the door, her green eyes glancing around like she was checking if somebody was following her. Once she was seemingly satisfied, she knocked on the door. 

It only took a moment for a man to open the door. He looked aged beyond his years, with grey hairs and deep scars across his face. It was obvious that if one checked, they would find it all over his body. But they were overshadowed by the look of pure surprise on his face. He obviously hadn't been expecting the woman to come over. 

She quickly brought a finger to her lips, telling him to be quiet as he was obviously about to speak. She then tapped her ear, signalling that they didn't know who was listening. They had to be wary. 

The woman plastered on a fake smile, speaking with an American accent that sounded odd with her voice. It didn't sound natural,  but it could surely fool some. "Moony, how great to see you again!"

Remus Lupin, alias Moony, racked his brain for something to call her that wouldn't bring suspicion. If she had come to his doorstep as she had, telling him that people could be listening, then he was sure saying her name was the last thing he should say. "Oh, hello, Cassie. Come on in."

The woman he had called Cassie raised an eyebrow at him, obviously surprised at the nickname. He took a step into his house, gesturing him to walk through the door. She did so happily, though casting another glance behind her to make sure nobody was following her. 

The moment he closed the door, he took his wand out of his pocket, quickly casting the silencing spell so that nobody could listen in on them if they wanted to. He could see how paranoid she was, and supposed she must have had a reason to be. "Muffliato."

The moment he put his wand back in his pocket, the woman grinned widely. And in that moment, with that familiar smile, that woman, Cassie, could only have been Lyra Malfoy, the best friend he had missed for so long. 

It didn't take her more than a few seconds to run into Remus's arms, wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing her cheek into his chest. She took a deep breath, as if trying to breathe in the smell of him, to remember what it was like when he'd hold her. 

He was surprised, as if he had expected to actually talk before they'd do anything like this. But she must really need him, like he needed her. He then wrapped his arms around her, pressing him closer to her. Neither of them smiled as they hugged, only keeping one another close, clinging to each other.