Chapter 7: Avatar Korra

Nanami and Bu Po head down a winding path to reach the Southern Water Tribe village. Snowy hills surround the place, with huge icebergs standing everywhere. They stop at the top of a hill to contemplate the magnificent landscape that nature offers them. The pristine snow stretches before their eyes, and reflects the sunlight. It's so beautiful that it looks like it comes straight from a painting. In the distance, they can see smoke dancing out of the chimneys of small houses. Nanami inhales the fresh air that almost freezes her lungs instantly. She takes a deep breath, enjoying clean air, unpolluted by factories running at full speed like what can be found in Republic City.

Once they get to town, the pair of cooks head to the market to buy ingredients for the soup. The market is full of people, and is very lively. Stalls are scattered around the place, selling different products, from food to clothes. Fishes, seaweed and other local specialties fill the market booths, and flood their noses with new smells. Bu Po frolics from stall to stall, curious to discover new tastes.

Nanami smiles seeing him running around like a child. However, the tender expression on her face is quickly replaced by irritation when she realizes that Iroh was right when he said she looked like a child when she was playing with the snow. "That damn perfect general," she curses him under her breath.

"Nanami," Bu Po calls out to her, pulling her out of her daydream. He is standing in front of a stall that is selling seafood.

A slim and dark-skinned woman stands behind her stall, with a warm, welcoming smile on her lips. "Welcome to the Southern Water Tribe. You must be from the United Forces," she notes. "My name's Senna."

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful lady," Bu Po declares, flashing his most seductive smile. Nanami's eyes go wide as she holds her laughter back. "We'd like to buy this rainbow seal-fish, with those blue seaweeds please," he continues.

Senna chuckles. "Certainly, sir. I'll wrap them for you." She takes the products, and turns her back to envelop them.

The two cooks wait in front of the stall, discussing recipes they could make with the Southern Water Tribe food.

"What are you guys doing in front of our stall?" a child-like voice asks. Startled, Nanami and Bu Po turn around, and their gazes fall on a little girl. She is wearing a sleeveless blue shirt - which is too short and shows her belly - with matching pants. Her hair is tied in a high ponytail in the back, and two strands of hair fall down on both sides of her cute baby face.

"Korra! Don't be rude to people," Senna scolds the young girl. " Please excuse my daughter," she apologizes.

"Korra?" Nanami repeats thinkfully. This name rings a bell; she feels like Kyra mentioned it to her once. "You're the Avatar!" The young woman kneels down on the snow in front of the four-year-old Avatar. "I'm Nanami, and this is Bu Po. We're cooks on a United Forces ship. It's nice to meet you, Korra."

Korra stares at them fiercely, both of her small eyebrows furrowed. "What are you doing?"

Nanami chuckles. "We're buying ingredients to prepare a delicious soup for lunch. Do you want to help us?"

Nanami is used to speaking to kids as she spent her past ten years surrounded by them. She was taken in by the director of an orphanage at the age of thirteen, after being homeless (more or less) for five years. She was never able to enjoy her childhood, finding herself alone at just eight years old. However, living a hard life on the inhospitable streets of Republic City made her strong both mentally and physically. She was much more mature than the others of the same age at the orphanage, which made her earn the director's trust quickly.

As time passed by, Nanami became in charge of the younger children, helping the teachers during lessons, and doing chores. But, more and more children were abandoned, and soon, they didn't have enough money to buy food for everyone, nor to pay the rent. So, two years after her arrival, to meet the needs of the orphanage, she started working, even though the director strongly opposed it. She found a job in a small tea shop that was run by an adorable old lady named Milah, who reminded her of her late guardian, Einuh.

Milah was a widowed woman, and whose children were living far away from her. She felt great affection for the hard-working young girl who came in to ask for a job, and treated her as if she was her own grandchild. Nanami already knew how to brew tea – Einuh was a tea amateur, and taught her everything – so Milah showed her how to bake sweets. Her new employee was a very fast learner, and soon became an excellent sweets maker. At the orphanage, Nanami was then in charge of making desserts and snacks for the kids, who were very fond of her.

After spending so much time with children, Nanami knows how to talk to them. She knows what to say to appeal to them, and that works with the Avatar too. The little girl's bright blue eyes sparkle as she hears the offer, and Korra nods energetically, obviously happy to be able to cook. Nanami smiles, and adds, talking to Senna, "We'll bring her back in the afternoon." She then turns to Korra. "Let's go buy some vegetables and other ingredients to make sweets too."

Korra leads them to another stall where they sell several varieties of unusual vegetables that neither Bu Po nor Nanami have ever seen. The old cook is amazed by the atypical cabbages the Southern Water Tribe has, and all the other groceries that can't be found in Republic City. They pick many vegetables as accompaniments for the soup, and head to another booth to look for ingredients for the dessert. This time it's Nanami's turn to be excited as she specializes in pastry. She lets Korra choose the flavor she likes the most, so they can make something with it.

After an hour of shopping, the trio finally return to the tent, and start preparing the soup. With Nanami's help, Korra peels the vegetables, while Bu Po seasons the soup and the rainbow seal-fish. They let it boil in the pot, and sit down at the table, preparing some sweets for dessert.

After simmering for thirty minutes, the fish soup is finally ready. Bu Po serves three plates, and they all savor the warm soup, enhanced with the marvelous taste of the local specialty, the rainbow seal-fish. They finish their lunch with delicious iced mochi balls. They're still talking leisurely, after a good meal, when an explosion sounds nearby, causing a slight earthquake.

Nanami stands up instantaneously. "Korra, go hide."

"No!" Korra opposes. "I'm the Avatar! I'm going to fight!"

"No," Nanami cuts her off. "We don't know who it is. Stay in the tent. Bu Po, please take care of her," she commands. Her usual playful voice is imperious, similar to General Iroh's tone, and Bu Po obeys immediately, bringing the little girl to the back of the tent.

Nanami heads towards the entrance of the tent cautiously, and reaches out her hand to the curtain, but it unexpectedly raises by itself. A man walks in casually, and stands before them. He scans the room with his eyes quickly, turning his head in all directions. His outfit looks very similar to the Water Tribes' clothings, with the blue color of his jacket and pants, but is more sophisticated. His dark skin and blue eyes are also proof that he probably comes from either Water Tribes.

Nanami, Bu Po and Korra stand still, silent, but on their guard. The intruder looks at each of them individually with his small eyes, then, an evil smile draws on his lips.

"So, this is where you were hiding."

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter even though it was short :)

So they finally met little Korra!! We also got to know more about Nanami's past at the orphanage.

Major event of this chapter: a man appears in the tent!! Can you guess who it is?? Let me know 😆 and who he's after (that's easier though lol)

Again, thanks for reading, and see you in the next chapter 😁

Credit for the gif: Legend of Korra - Episode 1