Chapter 8: The Attack (1)

In the last chapter, during the mission to the South Pole, Nanami met young Avatar Korra at the market, and took her back to her tent to cook together. They were peacefully eating in the tent when a man suddenly entered, announcing some more troubles for our fugitive.

Part 1: Past

157 AG, South Pole

While the northern hemisphere spends its summer under a scorching sun, the South Pole teleports you in a world of ice and snow. Winter brings a drop in temperatures that freezes everything, painting an immaculate canvas composed of pure white snow and icebergs that dominate the frozen waters . In the middle of the island, the Southern Watertribe rebuilt its new village thanks to Sokka and Katara, more than fifty years ago. The town city is now composed of several modern, small houses, bringing a touch of color in this all-white decor.

Near the village, a military encampment, made of snow and ice, stands at the entry of the Southern Water Tribe Capital City. The White Lotus Order's base has been established to take in charge the young Avatar's training as per late Avatar Aang's wishes. In the large igloo, positioned in the center of the camp, the United Forces First division holds its meeting, gathering all the soldiers of the fleet.

Hundreds of soldiers stand in line, in a large hall, listening to their superiors. General Iroh, his admiral and the captains of each faction – that is to say the earthbending faction led by Captain Ji Ji and the waterbending faction led by Captain Baq, a man in his forties that comes from the Northern Watertribe; the firebending faction doesn't have a dedicated captain and is led by General Iroh himself – as well as high-ranked officers from the White Lotus Order discuss on a raised platform.

While the higher-ups give their orders, a group of girls, from the last rank, gossip about juicy news in a low voice. As Bu Po predicted, Nanami's actions aren't well-received by most of the female soldiers. Nanami already knows people are talking behind her back, but she doesn't care at all. When she passes in the corridors of the First Division's main ship, Nanami can feel the envious glare the other women give her. They whisper to each other while looking at her, and then laugh in a scornful way. But our young fugitive doesn't pay attention to their provocations, and keeps on teasing General Iroh to her heart's content, riling the female soldiers up even more.

"Did you see the cook hugging the General earlier?"

"Yeah. Who does she think she is?"

"I saw her making eyes at Captain Ji Ji too. What a player!"

Kyra and Ziki, standing in the row in front of them, overhear their conversation. Ziki facepalms as he listens to them. His new friend's behavior is just as flashy as ever. On the other hand, Kyra seems a lot calmer than usual. She can't help but snicker as she hears those girls: they are the ones who spend their days flirting around with the General.

Turning around, Kyra advised them sarcastically, "If you have free time to badmouth others, you should use it to listen to the orders instead."

The girls are about to protest, but a loud explosion resounds outside. A White Lotus guard comes in, panting.

"We're being attacked!"

General Iroh glances quickly at the members of the White Lotus, and commanding his troops, he shouts, "First Division, prepare for the attack. Our objective is to protect the Avatar!"