Chapter 6: The South Pole

"So this is the South Pole!" Nanami exclaims, running around the ship's deck excitedly. She looks in awe at the huge icebergs surrounding them as the First Division's ships sail on the clear waters of the South Pole. "I've never left Republic City, so this is quite refreshing!"

"There's nothing special here though," Kyra states flatly, walking away from the gunwale to go back to the dining room. "Only snow and a permanent, icy wind that burns your cheeks."

"How can you say that? Everything's white, and it's so pretty! It's my first time seeing snow." Nanami follows Kyra inside, and goes to the kitchen to take some snacks. She brings out a plate of small mochi balls of multiple colors that she puts on the table. "Is your family still here Kyra? Or did you all move to Republic City?"

Kyra sighs. She doesn't really like to talk about her family. The only one who knows about them is Ziki. However, even though she hates to admit it, she has grown really close to Nanami for the past few weeks. She could probably tell her. "Yeah, my father and my brothers are still here."

"That's so nice! You must be happy to see them again. What about your mom?" Nanami asks, her mouth so full of mochis that it's hard to hear her well.

"Don't stuff your mouth with so many sweets. It's gross," Kyra laughs. "You look like a hamster-squirrel with your cheeks!"

Kyra and Nanami burst out laughing together, and bicker a bit in a nice atmosphere. Ziki looks at them with kindness, relieved that they now get along. Those two are quite stubborn, so they don't want to accept that they are already friends, and keep squabbling – much to his regret.

Kyra stopped laughing, and taking a serious face, she decides to tell her story to Nanami. "My mom died giving birth to me," she started, her head hung low. "I have three older brothers, so it's only men in my household."

Compassion draws on Nanami's face as she totally understands the pain of not knowing her mother. Unconsciously, she grabs Kyra's hand, trying to comfort the young female soldier. The latter looks up, surprised by Nanami's gesture, and a faint smile forms on her lips. Nanami is a good person that she could trust, even though she never expected it.

"I'm the only girl and the youngest, so they're very protective of me," Kyra carries on. "It's a bit annoying sometimes though. I can't do anything on my own. They actually refused to let me join the United Forces."

"So you defied your father and brothers?" Nanami says, chuckling as she imagines Kyra going wild.

"Yeah. I left home, and moved to Republic City on my own." She sighs at the thought of her fight with them. "That's why I'm not too happy to have another mission here."

A screeching sound interrupts their conversation. "Soldiers, report to the deck. We're arriving soon," General Iroh's voice commands through the speakers.

Kyra and Ziki stand up, walking towards the deck as instructed. Nanami rejoins Bu Po in the kitchen, and the two of them also head outside to wait for the ship to dock. When the cooks arrive at the deck, the soldiers have already formed three groups depending on their bending abilities and a fourth group for non-benders.

"Ready to moor," a marine announces.

The ship advances slowly through the glaciers. Once the boat is attached to the docks, some soldiers take out the gangway, and the troops disembark in order and discipline, following their commanders. Last to get off, Nanami and Bu Po carefully land on the ground, the snow crunching under their every step.