Five

ONE DAY LATE BUT ITS HERE AND LONGER THAN NORMAL TO MAKE UP FOR IT!! So, without further ado.. enjoy! It's a special chapter ;)

Mara didn’t know where Teresa had gone, or if she really had gone. All she could do was scream. Her head felt as if it was being clawed at and pulled apart, but it was the image of Newt that pained her the most.

Her brother hadn’t told her which of her friends a crank, like she was. What if Newt was the other crank? He couldn’t be, Mara wasn’t going to let him end up like one of them, like her. It would only be a matter of time before it took her, and she couldn’t watch him go through what she was going to go through; torture.

Still that was all she saw; him.

His voice pulled apart her brain, bouncing around her head as he cried out in pain. Where was he? Mara wanted to find Newt, to know that he was okay and that everything she had heard was false. That he was actually okay.

All she could tell herself was that nothing was right. Everything that could have gone wrong for Mara had; her life had been turned upside down. Had she ever had a normal life? From what she had learned, she already knew the answer to her own question; no.

Everything inside her body ignited into flames, forcing her to squeeze out every inch of breath she had into sharp and gruesome shrieks. Was she ever going to stop feeling an aching pain? Mara could only hope.

Minutes passed, dragging and blurring into one clump of time. How long had she been there howling in the dark? It wouldn’t stop, it just got more intense as time went on. Mara felt as if her brain was being cooked and fried, melting into a thin nothing of oblivion. The thought of someday finding the tiniest incline of hope stuck to her, even though the chances of that as her outcome were the smallest she could ever imagine.

After a lifetime of waiting, a booming rumble distorted her thoughts and finally silenced the girl’s lungs. She looked up towards the familiar echoing crunch through tear stained eyes as she rubbed her cheeks dry.

Teresa had opened the door in half the time it took for Mara to rid herself of tears, and she immediately darted towards the other side of the corner. She had left the door hanging open and exposing the sunlight into the room, but Mara didn’t bother shading her eyes from the brightness.

She couldn’t hold herself back; she tried to tackle the girl as she passed her, but the memory of her hardening wounds sprang into realisation just as her stomach smashed into the cold and lifeless floor beneath her. An angrily recognisable stinging jolted her body away from the floor and Mara pushed herself against the wall, clutching herself in a brace position. But the pain wasn’t going to stop her fury and pain.

“You’re a bitch!” She spat, tearing her head from its position and towards Teresa, who had walked so far into the room she was no longer visible. “When I lay my hands on you I swear I’m gonna-“

“Be quiet.” The girl shushed her, but not in a violent way. The way she spoke took Mara back slightly. Her voice was full of softness but sadness, a strange combination for the girl who had been physically and mentally destroying her.

“Teresa?”

Mara took a sharp inhale of breath in shock. Another voice was speaking, one that didn’t belong to Teresa or herself. It was high for a boy’s voice and slightly tired, but certainly not a voice she could forget. Everything she had felt had disappeared; melting away at the sound of her friend’s voice.

“Tommy?” She muttered in disbelief, finally bringing her eyes up to see the boy. He stood in the doorframe of the building, blocking most of the sunlight from Mara’s eyes.