Nine

We set up a bonfire. Mike and Rachel are both so relaxed as we make smores and trade stories of our childhood. Then I realize that I haven't even went to the other house the whole time that I've been here. It was agreed that we stay another day. I will go into the office and print payroll. Then set it up to where I don't have to make a trip here every week.

  "I like this place, a lot, but getting home will be welcome too." Mike said.

  "I'm right there with you, dad."

  "Me too!" Rachel added. "I love the beach and everything that we've done. But there's no place like home."

  Trace goes to the restaurant with me and we discuss different ways to do the payroll. We decided that Mandy and Bentley will submit the payroll to me for approval. Then I will release the funds so they can print the checks in the restaurant. It will require both of their signatures. I inform them that we are going back home in the morning.

  We go to dad's house. When we got there, I was shocked at the residents. The house should have been empty.

  I open the door and noticed that the alarm was disarmed. When I mention it to Trace, he walks in ahead of me. I hear someone talking from the den. Then she laughed. "Oh hell no! That's my mother!"

  I walk around Trace and stop at the door to the den. There she is! "What are you doing here?" I ask her rudely.

  The couple on the couch look at me. Mother looks the same as when she left. The man looks to be about sixty with a balding head and wire-frame glasses.

  "Tamara! I was wondering when you would be home!" Mother said as if she actually cared where I was.

  "This isn't my home. When I'm in Texas, I stay in the first house. What are you doing here?"

  "We came for a visit to see you, darling!"

  "Well, you should have been in touch. The last twelve years, since dad passed away, I have lived in the first house with grandpa. Until he passed last year. Now I live in Montana. If you want this house, you can buy it. If not, its getting sold. What is your decision?" I still haven't introduced Trace, or met the stranger beside mother.

  "I will not buy a house that is mine already!" She raised her voice.

  "You don't own this house. Dad had put it in grandpa's name. When grandpa passed, everything was put in my name. I'm selling this house and keeping the other."

  "That is outrageous! You can't sell this house!" She stood and put her nose in the air.

  "Seems to me that my wife can do anything she wants. This is her house. We only need one house when we are here." Trace told her. "I don't think that you should question her. You are the one who skipped out when Tamara's dad passed. I don't want my wife upset or stressed."

  "And you are?" Typical Annalise! Arrogant as always! She lifted an eyebrow in question.

  "My husband, Trace Mc Neil. Honey, this is my mother, Annalise." I introduce them. "The house is valued at three hundred thousand. With everything in it, that adds another thirty thousand. Are you buying it?" I raise my own eyebrow in question. Two can play at this game.

  "I don't have that kind of money!  I'm your mother! We will be here as long as you need us. So we need to stay here."

  "Apparently, you aren't listening. I don't live in Texas anymore. I live in Montana with my husband. I don't need you here. I needed you when daddy passed away. You left within two weeks of his passing. I needed you when I was kidnapped and raped. You never even returned my calls. So why do you think that I need you now?"