By the Light part 1

Start from the beginning

"You could have told her the truth." Elena smiled at him.

"And have her call the nice young men in the clean white coats?" Elijah chuckled. "I think I'll pass."

"Oh, she wouldn't have done that." Elena told him. "She knows about the supernatural."

"Well, maybe I don't want her to know." Elijah hummed. "And I would appreciate it if you didn't tell her just yet."

"Fine but when she does find out and is trying to strangle me for keeping secrets from her, I'll just send her your way." Elena smirked at him.

"Would you like to stay here and rummage through this stuff or would you like me and Elena to help you load it into your car." Jenna asked as she came back from upstairs.

"Or I can have someone pick it up tomorrow." Elijah started to make his way to the door.

"Also a good plan." Jenna nodded.

"Thank you so much for inviting me into your home, Jenna." Elijah nodded at her, then he turned towards Elena and smiled. "Elena, I hope to see you again sometime soon."

"Likewise." Elena smiled with a slight blush. What the heck was going on with her? Why did her insides feel all tingly?

Elena slowly made her way upstairs to tell Jeremy about Elijah but just as Jeremy opened the door to his room, Elijah grabbed her wrist and placed a finger against his lips.

"What is it?" Jeremy asked as he looked at her.

"I was just thinking about going to the boarding house and talking to Rose." Elena lied quickly. "Is that okay?"

"Yeah, I'll call Bonnie and tell her to lower the spell." Jeremy chuckled. "Love you, sister-mine."

"I love you to, Jere-Bear." Elena called out as he closed his door again.

"A wise choice." Elijah murmured quietly to her.

"You never said that I couldn't tell Jeremy." Elena protested in a whisper.

"You are quite the crafty one." Elijah looked slightly impressed. "I think it's time for you and I to have a little chat."

"Come on." Elena led him over to her room and closed and locked the door, then she turned and smirked at Elijah. "Welcome to the inner sanctum."

"Forgive the intrusion," Elijah bowed his head at her. "I mean your family no harm."

"Why did you kill those vampires when they came to take me to Klaus." Elena looked at him.

"Because I didn't want you to be taken. Klaus is the most feared and hated of the Originals, but those who fear him are desperate fir his approval." Elijah explained as he looked around her room. "If word got out that the doppelgänger exists, there'll be a line of vampires eager to take you to him and I can't have that."

"What is it with everyone trying to make my decisions for me?" Elena groaned and threw her hand up. "Aren't you supposed to be helping him or something?"

"Let's just say that my goal is not to break the curse." Elijah smiled at her.

"So, what is your goal?" Elena wondered.

"Klaus's obsession had made him paranoid, he's a recluse." Elijah told her softly. "He trusts only those in his immediate circle."

"And from the sound of it you are not part of that circle." Elena hummed and when Elijah nodded in agreement she continued. "You're trying to use me to draw him out."

"Yes, but to do that I need you to stay put and stop trying to get yourself killed." Elijah insisted with a serious look.

"And what makes me able to believe that you are telling me the truth?" Elena asked slowly.