Chapter 42

Linnéa took a deep breath standing in front of the mirror of her bedroom. Or at least, it used to be. Only the necessary items for today were now in this location. In a few hours another room wouldn't just belong to her, but her future husband. Four months after the decision of her kin, Legolas officially relocated to Erebor. The people held a feast to welcome their soon to be king. It lasted for three days. Which was nothing compared to what was to come after the ceremony. Celebrations, alongside Durin's Day, would continue well over a week.

Nearly every major household began to trickle in in the last few days. Gondor. The Blue Mountains. Rivendell. Edoras. Lothlórien. The Iron Hills. Hobbiton. Dale. The Greenwood. A gathering for the ages. And one where it didn't involve war. Legolas and her greeted all the heads of the households. The princess found comfort in talking with Éowyn and Arwen. Then the best surprise came in the form of Hobbits. Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, even Bilbo in his old age, managed to make the long journey this far west for the special occasion. She excitedly showed her kin and friends the kingdom of Erebor. All enjoyed the tales Bilbo shared from his memories of adventures long since passed.

"I made sure that his travels were a comfortable one," Lord Elrond reassured. "I advised against the long journey, due to age catching up with him, but our dear friend is stubborn in his old age. I must say, he reminds me more of Poppy once she set mind to something."

Linnéa snickered, "Stubbornness seems to run in the family."

"I almost worry for Leoglas and yourself when you decide to have children. Your hands will be full."

"As King Dáin likes to remind me."

Now, the long-awaited day finally came. The servants stopped by early that morning to wake her, fed the princess, and began to make the preparations. She bathed in fine scents before the women twisted the hair into braids. Those representing the Durin Household and the Elf's. Including braids that were to represent her status on the throne after the ceremony. All the proper beads were slid into place too. At Linnéa's insistence she wore boots instead of fancy footwear. Not that it could be seen under the length of the dress, made by their finest seamstresses. The main fabric was gold in color, accents of a royal dark blue color mixed in alongside hints of silvers in the bead work and the make of the crown.

She didn't look like the ferocious warrior on a battlefield. She looked like a woman. What an odd feeling to see herself in such a regal manner. Something the princess had to get used to once taking the throne. Her hands smoothed down the front of the dress to make sure everything lay in place. A knock at the door drew Linnéa from her thoughts.

"Enter," she called.

Gimli opened the door, smiling widely at her appearance. "You look stunning, milady," he commented.

"Thank you, my friend."

"How do you feel?"

"Nervous. I'm not used to this. At least, not unless there's a battle involved, but that's just because it's the calm before the storm. I'm not used to... this."

The Dwarf chuckled. "I can imagine for many, feeling as you do only comes around one in their lives. Or maybe a few times if they rushed into something and found they were unhappy."

"Or unlucky if their spouse is a warrior." She sighed. "I just... I didn't expect this."

Gimli gripped the princess's hand reassuringly. "It's alright to feel this way. Means that you've made the right decision in all of this. Rather than follow orders or the approval of the Council for other suitors."