Chapter 25

Linnéa was all smiles standing at the main gate alongside the king and his most trusted advisors. Gimli stood among them, yet a few paces behind as horses rode towards them with very familiar riders on their backs. It had been months since leaving Gondor behind and both leaders kept in touch since leaving each other's company. And now the Queen of Rohan came to Erebor. Éomer and Faramir flanked both sides of her and there were a few armed guards behind them to be sure their travels across the Wild went smoothly.

Linnéa dressed in light armor, wearing a simple crown that sat atop her head. But unlike those that stood tall or were filled with multiple gems that glistened in the sunlight, hers was made of silver with an almost exact design to the gold one King Dáin wore. Though it wasn't as extravagant in detail. Not that she would have it any differently. When she took the throne, one would be fashioned for her at the princess's request. Nothing would really change from this one, though others would try to convince her otherwise.

As their guests dismounted, both parties bowed in a formal greeting. Though upon rising it was hard for the two females in attendance to control their grins. Moving across the space, they embraced each other tightly.

"I have missed you much, my friend," Linnéa greeted.

"And I you," Éowyn answered. Pulling away at arm's length, the two examined each other.

"Ruling suits you."

She wore a band of bronze around the top of her head to show her royalty. Something for the road that any thieves running about wouldn't look to steal. Even her clothing was simple, but she would have the finest outfits Erebor had to offer once properly shown her quarters.

"As it will you," the queen said.

"Well, it looks like that may be sooner than expected," she muttered for only her to hear.

The queen's eyes lit with excitement. Faramir stepped up to join them.

"Always a pleasure to see you, Linnéa," the man greeted.

"Welcome to Erebor. I am pleased you have made the journey. All are excited to meet you at the feast tonight."

As the two passed to formally speak with King Dáin, a familiar face came to stand beside Linnéa.

"She has been talking about you nonstop since leaving Edoras," Éomer stated. The two looked at each other, grinning. "It's so odd to see you not in fighting attire. But the crown suits you."

"Which is why I did not wear it beyond these walls. No one knew who I was, which was an advantage."

Watching the party move inside the doors, they followed at a distance.

"I hope you're ready for a few sparring sessions," the princess said.

The comment caused the man's brow to cock in confusion.

"Dwarves will be challenging you after hearing Gimli's tales of battle."

A chuckle escaped him, noticing the Dwarf walking further ahead of them. "Should I go easy on them?" he asked.

"Not if you want to keep your pride."

"Noted. Fighting aside, I am looking forward to this feast you speak of. If it's anything like the two of you have said I don't think any of us are prepared for what is to come."

"You would assume correctly. What you saw in Edoras is child's play. I've already bet with Dwalin that you and your men will be drunk under the table in two hours' time."