0.0 The Figure Watches

The Figure watches.

Eyes glued to the television, pupils wide and open, the Figure hungrily takes in the light from the only bright surface in the dark room. The television illuminates the Figure's face, casting it into dramatic shadows as the Figure's eyes flick from face to face, watching the smiling people on the screen.

It's a talk show. A bright set decked out with neutral furniture; a pale wooden desk for the smiling too-thin hostess and a dark red seat for the guest. The hostess gestures as she speaks, inviting the guest to answer questions.

The Figure's eyes fix on the guest.

The guest sits, legs politely crossed, a confident smile on her face, perfectly at home in the low chair that has been provided for her. She opens her perfectly made up mouth to reply.

The Figure reaches for the remote, and turns up the volume.

HOSTESS: Thank you so much for coming to the show tonight! We weren't sure we'd be able to get you in time what with the movie coming out!

The guest laughs, tossing her artificially red hair over her shoulder. It doesn't look rehearsed. It looks friendly. The Figure hates her.

ACTRESS: It's true, my schedule is super swamped right now. But I wouldn't miss this for the world!

HOSTESS: Is that loyalty I detect?

ACTRESS: Of course it is!

HOSTESS: But you haven't been on the show since you were in Hope's Peak Academy, have you?

ACTRESS: You're right, it has been a while. Still, this was one of the first 'grown up' talk shows I ever participated in, and I've got warm memories of it after all this time.

HOSTESS: Is that so?

ACTRESS: I wouldn't lie! You all treated me like an adult back then. It was really nice.

HOSTESS: Aww, and now you really are all grown up! And doing movies no less! With the dyed hair and the mature role you're playing in Rose Garden you're hardly recognizably as Kimi Tachibana anymore!

A vague glimmer of discomfort passes across the actress's face, but it's gone in an instant. She smiles.

ACTRESS: I should hope so! I want to be recognizable for who I am, not necessarily who I played when I was in high school. I'm Shizuku Yazaki, not Kimi anymore.

HOSTESS: Still, you can't deny that the role was important in shaping who you are, can you?

The actress, Shizuku, pauses. She looks thoughtful.

ACTRESS: You're right, it would be dismissive to say that Kimi had no effect on me.

HOSTESS: After all, she got you into Hope's Peak!

ACTRESS: I like to think I got myself into the school, but... yes. I certainly wouldn't be where I am now without that role and without that school. I doubt I would have been able to handle my part in Rose Garden back then!

HOSTESS: Why don't you tell us a little bit about your time in Hope's Peak?

ACTRESS: Are you sure you don't want to hear about the movie? I did a lot of interesting prep work for the more complex scenes...

HOSTESS: Just for old time's sake, okay? We'll get to the movie in a bit.

The actress smiles wearily, but bites back anything that could be interpreted as an impatient sigh. She nods before shifting in her seat to get more comfortable before embarking on the story.

ACTRESS: The school really is incredible, but you know all that. Being surrounded with talented people who all want to work hard and really make something of themselves... I want to say it's unlike anything else, but that's not quite true.

HOSTESS: It isn't?

ACTRESS: Graduating that school was the best thing that ever happened to me. I got to spread my wings! I quit The Kimi Question, we had a grand send off, and then I got to try new things. The experiences I gained at the school, meeting all of my classmates, everything was amazing, but I'm a totally new person now.

The actress smiles, and this time, it glows with sincerity.

ACTRESS: I like that fact, too! Being able to look back at my experiences and know for sure that I've grown and changed, that I've used my past skills without letting them take over my whole life...

The actress sighs happily, and throws her hands up in the air as if she has no words to describe her experiences.

The Figure watches.

HOSTESS: That's a surprisingly mature take!

The women laugh together as if sharing a joke. The Figure does not so much as smile.

ACTRESS: Is it? I mean, it's been almost five years. I think I'm allowed to reflect back on my school days and come to new conclusions, right?

HOSTESS: True, true! I always forget how old you are now.

ACTRESS: I'm 24!

HOSTESS: Wow! Now I'm feeling old...

The audience laughs. The Figure hates the audience, too.

HOSTESS: You must be coming up on a five year reunion, then?

ACTRESS: I'm not sure! I haven't heard of anything being planned, at least. And even if there was...

HOSTESS: Don't tell me you wouldn't go!

ACTRESS: No offence to any of my classmates, of course! I've just moved on from that part of my life!

HOSTESS: And it's a good thing, too! Without moving on, we would never have gotten a movie like Rose Garden. Why don't you tell me—

The Figure clicks a button on the remote, and the two women disappear into the inky blackness of the room.

The Figure is alone now.

The Figure smiles.

The Figure is finally ready.