Watch You as You Wake (Soft boi hours)

Start from the beginning

He left their room to start making breakfast, moving as quietly as he could in order to not wake Byul. He made little rice omelets for the twins before making a larger one for Byul as well. He contented himself with a cup of black coffee. When the twins came back out they were dressed for school and looked slightly more awake. They sat down on the floor at the kitchen table and he put their rice omelets in front of them. Both had little red bean paste smiley faces on them. Mae broke into a gummy smile.

"Thank you appa." He said smiling shyly. Jin nodded towards the twins.

"Hurry and eat it, we have to catch the bus, we don't want to be late!" The twins nodded as they ate quickly. He packed up their school backpacks and helped them into them as they walked out the door. He placed Byul's omelet under a bowl as she would probably eat it while they were out and leave for the station before he got back. He scribbled a quick note to her because running out the door.

Saranghae naui Byul. I will see you after work. ~ Jin

It was raining heavily outside and Jin kept the twins close to him as he carried the umbrella for them. They walked through the puddles in their new rain boots, the ones Jin had bought them for their birthday. It rained a lot in Seoul at this time of year and he didn't want them to have wet feet. Byul refused to buy rain boots and was always coming home with wet feet and getting sick.

It had been raining the day Jin met Byul. He had been on his way home from working at the bookshop and he had been mugged. His shirt had been torn and the perp had hit him pretty hard in the face. He lost consciousness for a few minutes and when he woke up there was a young police officer peering at him from above. She was holding an umbrella over his head and dabbing away blood from his cut eyebrow.

"Oh? You're awake." She broke into a gummy smile.

Jin grasped the twins' hands before kissing them goodbye at the bus stop.

"Be good today and learn lots in school. I will be here at four to pick you up." He kissed their heads as they piled onto the bus with the other children. They waved at him through the window, Sun drawing little smiley faces in the foggy windows. Jin laughed lightly.

He remembered Byul had laughed when she saw his shocked expression to find a police officer kneeling beside him on the street.

"What happened?"

"You were mugged, we got the guy but he hit you pretty hard. Are you feeling dizzy? There is an ambulance on the way to take you to the hospital." Jin tried to sit up, but she pushed his shoulder down lightly. "Just stay on the ground, you'll hurt yourself." When he didn't say anything she smiled again and held out her hand.

"My name is Moon Byul-yi. I'm a police officer at the Seoul station nearby."

"Kim Seokjin. I work at the bookshop." He said wearily.

"The bag the man stole - I think he thought there was money in it - but it was only some books." At that, she burst out laughing like it was the funniest thing that had happened all day. Maybe it had been.

When Jin walked back into their house his hair was soaked and so were his shoes. He was surprised to see Byul's omelet was still on the table.

"Byul?" He walked into their bedroom surprised to see her still lying in bed. He sank down onto the bed and smoothed a hand over her hair. The sound of the rain lulling him into a feeling of warmth and safety.

Her eyes flickered up at him and she pulled the covers up higher around her ears to hide from the rain. He giggled at her antics.

"Don't you have work today?" She shook her head from under the covers, making a soft rustling sound.

She pulled the covers higher up over her face, then snaked her hand out and pulled him under the covers with her.

"Come back to bed." She said softly. "It's too cold to do anything today." He laughed as he joined her under the covers. She had gentle sleep marks on her cheek and her eyes were still rimmed in red from sleep. He pulled her against his chest, relishing the warmth.

Some people asked him what it was like to love someone so dearly. It was like waking to the gentle warmth of the sun every morning and going to bed to the sound of the rustling leaves in the forest every night. It was like running a hand through cool lake water on a warm day or holding your hands over a fire on a cold one. It was like coming home after a long day of work when your feet were hurting and you were so tired you could barely keep your eyes open.

Her love rest on him like a heavy mantle, a weight that was everpresent on his heart. The weight of her love was the sweetest weight he had ever felt. Love was not like flying or like becoming free, it was like waking up each morning to see your lover wake and pull you back under the covers, to hide from the sound of the rain.