chapter twenty

"Will you love me like you loved me and I'll never ask for more"

BIG THIEF - 'Mary'

.              .              .

If Naomi gave her another meaningful look from Martha's desk, Cali was going to fire her.

One more fucking raised eyebrow and Cali wasn't responsible for her actions

She focused her eyes back down on her paperwork, frowning at the list of requested books. The last title, right at the bottom of the list - hadn't she just seen that on the old order receipts? They should already have the novel; how the order request had gotten past Brendan and onto her desk for final approval was beyond her. Was their copy in bad condition? If it was, then she should be looking at a replacement request.

Cali gnawed on her pen and added the title to her notepad, where there were about four other books listed for the exact same reason.

"Naomi," she said distractedly, her co-workers annoying nosiness forgotten for the moment in light of her concerns. "Our copy of 'Hush, Hush' by Becca Fitzpatrick - do you know what condition it's in?"

Naomi's eyebrows did an impressive rendition of the worm as she allowed her full attention to wander over to Cali's face. After a moment, she shrugged. "Haven't ever heard of it, to be honest." She paused. "Why did you ask?"

Cali waved her notepad in the air. "It's the latest one in a series of titles that have been requested for us to purchase, but our manifests say that we already have it."

"So don't buy it again."

"But Brendan signed the form, which means that he's approved a double purchase, which we usually don't do."

Naomi shrugged again and looked back down at Martha's computer, fingers flying across the keyboard. "Maybe he just really likes the book, I don't know."

Cali scowled at the woman. "It's the fifth book that we should already own, but whatever."

"I don't know, boss, it's not my job."

"It literally is though. Like, that's actually what we pay you for."

Naomi shook her head and didn't respond. Cali plopped her notebook back down on her desk and leaned back in her seat, sighing. She'd have to organise a stocktake soon. Hopefully, by updating the records, they'd find out exactly what books they had and what books she could authorise the purchase of.

Rubbing her temple with one hand, Cali quietly pulled up the rosters on her computer, deciding against paperwork for the moment. A headache was forming rather rapidly, but she was too proud to call up her father and beg for the temporary cure he'd promised her two weeks ago. She'd survived until now without it, and she would survive longer.

Rostering people to work was interesting because only some of her staff worked part-time. Nancy was full-time, and always worked weekdays. Brenden took over Friday and the weekends for Cali, and the shy girl who spent all of her time shelving worked late nights while the library was closed. Naomi and Martha were shift workers, and so were two other workers who could only work weekends due to the fact they were University students.

"Hey boss," Martha greeted, strutting in with her handbag over her shoulder. She looked particularly dressed up today, with her makeup crisp and her pantsuit unwrinkled. Her heels clicked as she walked.

Cali had never seen her in anything but jeans and boots before.

Naomi whistled appreciatively. "Damn Martha," she said, rocking back in her chair. "Looking fine today."