Chapter 11

A/N: Bold text = Fanatic speech

   The three Guardians made their way up the platforms, making sure to destroy the Ether-Torches before continuing on. Reaching the top, they took a moment to double check their weapons, reloading or, in Narvuk's case, sharpening. "Everyone ready?" Sienna asked as she slung her rifle over her shoulder.

   Narvuk and Poppy nodded in unison, uncharacteristically quiet. The Fanatic was no easy foe when he was alone, and he had backup this time. Sienna returned the nod before turning and leading the group into the final room. In the center, there was a circle of runes glowing blue, and above them floated the Fanatic's staff. As the Guardians approached, their target materialized mid-air, landing with a thud before them. "Face me! Show me what you are." the Fanatic shouted as he began firing bolts of Arc lightning. The trio quickly scattered. Narvuk took cover behind the wreckage of a Servitor, now with no line of sight to either his friends or the target. Just then, a loud shrieking echoed through the room, and when Narvuk peeked around the edge, he saw what looked like a half-grown Brood Queen float down and conjure a poison cloud around herself.

   As Scorn and Hive soldiers began appearing around the room, Narvuk saw Sienna dart out and begin cutting them down. On the opposite side, Poppy was peeking in and out of cover, and an enemy's head disappeared with every trigger pull. The Knight took a deep breath, clenched his fist, and vaulted over the dead Servitor. The sudden motion caught the Fanatic's attention, and he turned to face his foe. His first blast missed, but the next was dead center. The bolt lanced into Narvuk's chest and he fell. As the energy cloud dissipated, the Fanatic chuckled to another Guardian dead, but his laughter stopped abruptly when a shape moved in the cloud.

   "Thhat... hurt." Narvuk growled as he stood shakily, baring his teeth. He drew himself up to his full height - an impresssive 7 feet - and took a heavy step forward. Another bolt took him in the shoulder, and he staggered back. And as the Fanatic's barrage continued, he was forced back again and again, one step after another. "Why don't you fall, dead thing?" the Fanatic demanded. "FALL!"

   Then, Narvuk planted his feet and blocked the bolt, deflecting it into the ceiling. As he lowered the blade, he bared his teeth again and snarled. "Nno." And he stepped forward once more. He planted one foot in front of the other, moving ever closer to the Fanatic, who began firing wildly and retreating slowly. Each bolt met only Narvuk's sword, some reflected, others almost absorbed into the blade. The Knight barely registered his friends behind the Fanatic isolating the Wizard as he advanced, or the small Arc bolts now crackling across his skin.

   The Fanatic turned to flee, but found an Arc tentacle looped around his throat. Narvuk wrapped it around his hand, pulling the Fanatic back two steps at a time. When he was close enough, his hand darted out and latched onto the Baron's neck. "I do nnot fall because you do not have the sstrength to mmake me." With that, he unleashed all of the Arc lightning that was coursing through him directly into the Fanatic's nervous system.

   He released the now-corpse and immediately leaned on his sword, slumping over and sighing heavily. Zivath materialized, shell whirring anxiously. "Narvuk, you've only just learned how to use your Light! You can't push yourself so hard!" He waved her away weakly, flinching at the motion.

"I'm ffine, little shell."

"Like hell you are. Your armor is cracked in at least five places and your vitals are barely holding on. By all rights, you should be unconscious."

   While Narvuk and his Ghost bickered, Sienna attempted to interrogate their captured Brood Queen. "Who sent you to the Shore?" The Wizard only hissed. "Fine! You want to be difficult?" the Hunter spat. "I guess we'll see if the Praxics can get anything out of you!"

   "Ddon't bother." Narvuk said tiredly, limping over to them. "You cannot threaten mmy people with death, for that is what must be. The Logic ddemands it." Then he reached out with his free hand and snapped the Wizard's neck. "Wwe should ggo now."

Poppy nodded and called their ships for pickup.

A/N: Sorry for the long wait, but it's finally here! Downtime chapters coming up next, I promise.