Chapter 2

Zavala stood before one of the dozens of landing pads in the Tower hangar. Around him was a dozen Guardians, all sporting Vanguard colors and armaments. "Easy, Guardians. We're only here to make sure our new arrival doesn't hurt anyone." One of the Guardians, a Warlock, turned to him. "Sir, did a Ghost really choose a Hive to be one of us? I-it just doesn't sound likely. From what I've read, it should be impossible."

Zavala merely shook his head. "My thoughts were much the same, Warlock. But Eris and his Ghost told the same story." As if on cue, Eris' ship emerged from the clouds in the distance. The Guardians arranged themselves in a standard firing pattern, filling the gap that Zavala left as he stepped beyond them. It only took a few minutes more for the ship to dock in the Hangar. Eris exited the cockpit and walked over to Zavala. "Is all this" - she gestured to the line of weapons behind him - "really necessary, Zavala?"

"I mean no offense, but your 'guest' is unlike any other I've had to welcome here. I'm sure you understand my cautiousness, especially regarding the safety of the City." Eris sighed. "Very well, then. Let us be done with it, then." She went back to her ship and lowered the ramp in the back. As she stepped away, a tramping began emanating from the hold. Its source became obvious as Narvuk emerged, his Cleaver gripped tightly in one hand and his three glowing eyes immediately locking on to the gun barrels aimed at him. He raised his blade and the Guardians tensed, ready to shoot. Eris darted forward to defuse the situation, but Narvuk was already lowering the sword.

   "Was tesssting...wah-turs? I nnot ggreet-ed." His Ghost appeared between the Knight and Zavala. "I think what my Guardian means is that he's clearly not welcome here. Which I do not appreciate, by the way. What, you think I made a mistake? That the Traveler screwed up somehow? 'Cause let me tell you something, baldie--" Narvuk plucked her out of the air mid-sentence and bared his teeth. "Too lloud for small thhing. Ssilence, lit-ul shhell." Turning back to Zavala and the Guardians behind him as he released the Ghost, Narvuk flipped his Cleaver and planted it into the floor. He then spoke to Eris, though his gaze never moved from Zavala. "You speak my ttongue, you...rreflect?" His Ghost piped up, somewhat sullenly. "He means 'translate'." Eris started, but quickly recovered and nodded.

Narvuk began chanting, the sound of it sending chills down the spines of all those in earshot, save Eris. Her mouth gaped as the meaning became clear. Hastily, she began translating. "I swear, by this, my blade, which has slain dozens, that none in this domain have cause to fear me. Who here doubts my oath? Who would lay claim to my sword and life?" As Narvuk opened his eyes and withdrew the blade, Zavala dismissed the Guardians and beckoned Eris closer.

He turned away slightly to ensure they weren't overheard. "Can we trust this oath?"

"Absolutely. To break a Sword-Oath is to forfeit their very existence."

The Titan pondered for a moment, then nodded. "Very well. He is free to walk the Tower, but he is your responsibility, Eris. I pray he does not prove too much."

   "I have dealt with worse than babysitting, Zavala," she replied with an edge in her voice. "I know, Eris, but 'babysitting' brings its own troubles." The Vanguard Commander turned back to Narvuk, who was sharpening his claws on the edge of the sword. "Narvuk, you have free access to the sections of the Tower open to all Guardians. Though I would recommend finding somewhere to put that sword." With that, the Awoken walked out of the Hangar.

Narvuk looked at Eris, his uncertainty evident. "Whhere I go firrrst?" Eris thought for a moment, then gestured for him to follow her. "There is someone in this Tower whose discretion I have relied upon before. Her name is Ikora Rey, and she will most likely have questions for you."