▪Bad at Goodbyes▪

When I got to my apartment, I slammed the front door behind me and sank to the floor in the dark living room. Then the sobs started. I hugged my knees to my chest as loud sobs racked my body.

Ken's betrayal cut deep. I sobbed until I run out of tears. Until I had become numb. I stayed in the same position for a long time and would have probably stayed that way forever if someone hadn't knocked on my door.

I started and slowly got off the ground. The person knocked again and I looked through the peephole. It was Ken. I quickly turned on my lights, wiped my face as best as I could and slowly opened the door.

And there he was. After one week of no communication, no regard for my feelings, he had the guts to show up on my doorstep like everything was okay.

I raised an eyebrow and waited for him to speak.

"Hi."

I rose both eyebrows.

"Can I come in?"

Against my better judgment, I let him in. Despite everything he had done to me, I still couldn't say no to him and that made me mad. At him. At myself. At the situation.

He came in and looked around with a small smile.

"Nice place you have."

I nodded and turned away so he wouldn't see the tears that threatened to spill.

"So....." ,he started tentatively."I think you deserve to know the truth. Kim, I like you. I like you a lot but I.....we..."

"Are you guys together? " ,I cut in. That was all I needed to know.

"Not exactly but....."

"You're planning to get together? " I cut in again. He hesitated then, "Yeah. "

"Okay." ,I said, looking up and rolling my eyes in an attempt to stop the tears from falling again.

" I wish you all the best.....As long you're happy Ken." ,I said bravely.

Ken turned me to face him. "Thanks." ,he said as he pulled me into a hug. I did not hug him back. I teared up again as I felt his strong warm arms around me. I would never feel them again.

I thought we were good. Where had I gone wrong? Had he meant all those things he told me? I thought he was 'my man'. Was that some sort of metaphor? Because I had taken it literally when he said it.

"I have to go now. See you around?" ,he asked when he finally pulled away. I nodded and forced a small smile onto my face.

He walked to the door and I wrapped my arms around myself. I missed his warmth already. I was pathetic. "Bye beautiful. ", he said as he stood in my doorway.

I gave a small smile as I felt my heart sink. He smiled at me again and just like that, he was gone. The smell of his cologne lingered in the air and I turned around and resumed my position on the floor.

"As long as you're happy." I whispered to the empty apartment.

♢•♢•♢•♢•♢•♢•♢

How many of you have put your feelings aside to make the person you love happy?

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Xo, theera💝