▪Furry Beginnings▪

"Hey you wittle cutie... Heyyy....You adorable cutie woogie woogie.", I cooed, bringing my face closer to the adorable ball of fur in the steel cage. The little golden dog cocked its little head to the side and regarded me with cautious interest.

"Have you made your choice?", the store attendant asked in an amused tone.

I straightened myself and beamed at her. "Yes! This one." I pointed at the fluffy puppy and she barked at me in return.

"Good choice. The golden retiriever. We call her Stella but feel free to change the name.",The attendant walked towards the cage and removed a key from the pocket of her vest. Bending at the waist, she inserted the key into the keyhole and turned it.

The cage opened with a small clank and the puppies started barking and wagging their tails wildly. Stella, my chosen one, let out two cute yips when the attendant gently grabbed her midsection and lifted her out of the cage. She was immediately deposited in my arms and I cradled her to my chest like a baby.

She was so warm and small and fragile. I beamed at the attendant who chuckled and started walking in the direction of the small desk in the front room of the pet store. I had rushed here as soon as I closed from work. A crazy part of me had expected to see Yohann waiting for me after work but he was nowhere to be found. I couldn't help but imagine what it would have been like if he had come with me though and I pushed the thought away as soon as it came to mind. I shouldn't be getting attached to strangers. It would undoubtedly end in tears.

Still cooing to the wriggling ball of fur in my arms, I followed after her. We settled the transaction and she gave me a receipt and a pamphlet on adoption. Dog adoption.

Afterwards, I asked to see the kittens they had and she led me to another section of the shop. This section was more quiet than the puppy section. The kittens were lying quietly in their cage. And the place was silent apart from a few tiny meows here and there. Some of the kittens were playing with each other and the rest were lying quietly.

I scanned the little balls of cuteness carefully. Some regarded me with sly eyes and some ignored me and regarded the little puppy in my arms with sly eyes. Stella barked at them in reply. I looked the kittens over till my eyes landed on one in particular. The black and white kitten studied me quietly. Its blue eyes moved from my face, to the little, barking bundle in my arms. It seemed to judge us. And by the look of disdain on its face, it was not impressed.

I grinned at it as it yawned and sprawled itself out on the floor of the cage. "This one." ,I pointed.

"Are you sure?", the attendant asked skeptically. "I know he's just a cat but sometimes I swear, it's like he hates human beings."

I laughed." He's perfect. "

The attendant gave me an odd look, shrugged and took out a small key to open the cage. The black and white cat hissed and scratched as he was lifted from the cage.

"Here. Here.", the attendant hurriedly dumped him into a small carrier and shoved it into my hand. There were a series of hisses and meows which I'm sure were cat curse words as I held on to the carrier tightly. Stella barked at the carrier and the grumpy, cat hissed. Oh this was going to be fun. I settled everything with the attendant and marched out of the pet shop with a puppy in the crook of one arm and a wriggling, hissing cat carrier in the other hand. I took in a big whiff when I got outside and exhaled deeply. Life was definitely going to be more fun now.

♢•♢•♢•♢•♢•♢•♢

I know this chapter is short and kinda boring but it's necessary. More fun chapters ahead.💫

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Xo, theera💝