#5 Crosser

"You are special"

Samantha Morgan couldn't believe what she just heard. She just listened to one of the more cliches pick up lines of history. It almost sounded like she was being confessed to by a teenager.

Well, if she didn't take into account the previous course of "an almost out of a sci-fi novel" conversation between the two.

'What? Human from the future and different space? Am I still dreaming?'

-You are completely awake. 

'Is he really a mindreader?'

-You are just too... your thoughts appear very clearly on your face.

'He really can read my mind!' 

-So, tell me, why do you say that I'm special?- Sam tried to sound tough, she needed to appear sure of herself. 

-'Cause you can see me and touch me.

-It is something weird?- 'Isn't that the most basic of things?' 

-Well, yes. If you could only see me then it's no so rare. There are quite a lot of people like that, much more connected and awake. A lot of people believe that we're ghosts. And another lot of people treat us like spiritual masters or even saints or angels. Only a little group of people are able to accept us as we are. 

-Then, are you not? 'An angel'.

-No, as I've already told you, I'm just a human from another time and space. 

'Sure, that's the normal thing here. Should I ask my neighbor if she is the same?'

-Where's the proof?

-Well I could go in and out of a police station and nobody saw me, so what else can I say?

'Nice one, fine'.

-Then, why can I see and touch you? - 'What are you going to say now? Sam was staring at him just to see any trace of lies, emotions...but she couldn't find any. He had a poker face. 

Even though Sam couldn't see any changes in Kylian, subtle differences were shown in his eyes. Kylian them pushed Sam down...so that they both could sit on the bench. Sam was flustered and a bit angry. 'The hell is he doing?' 

-'Cause you are special. 

'Again with the pick up line'.

-You're a  crosser.

-A...what?

-A crosser. You can cross any time and space as long as you want.  

-I can?

-Yes. 

-But have you not done the same? - 'Did he not come from other time and space?'

-It's...not the same. You have an hereditary ability. Passed down generation after generation by blood. I don't have that ability. I need an  external assistance of sorts.

Sam had enough. She stood up.

-Right.. well 'Kylian' was it? I admit I don't know how to explain what happened at the station but, I can't believe you. You do have a future as an author though. You can easily put a story together. 

-It's not a story. I'm telling the truth.

-Okay. then...you said you know who murdered that woman. 

Kylian stood up too. 

-You can't do anything to her. It's not possible for you. And now, she's gone. 

-What do you mean? Why, can't we just go and try to get her? And where did she go?

-That...she's from another time and space like me. But she is from another species. And she returned already.

-Hahaha...kids these days sure have a vivid imagination. Then are you a killer too?

Sam was just joking. She wanted to see any reaction. But, contrary to her expectations, he didn't say anything. 'No way. Did he really kill someone?'

-I...didn't do that.

Pit, pit, pit

'An alarm?' -Thought Sam.

-It seems my time here is up. It's been a pleasure to meet you, crosser. 

Then, Kylian began to slowly dissapear, like he was just made of foam. His stare was directed at Sam and his light smile never dissapeared until it was not visible anymore. 

In mere seconds, Kylian was nowhere in sight. Like there was never someone in front of her. But, she could still remember his touch, and when she cuffed him. All that felt so real. 

She stood there lost in her thoughts for a few minutes.    

'What the hell happened to me today? This is too weird, even if I had that nightmare which jinxes those days. This is too much!' 

Then, Sam began walking home. For the first time in years, she wanted to scream aloud. But she resisted the urge. She really didn't want look like she was crazy. Even though today she wasn't sure she wasn't. 

The fallen orange leaves made the park appear like a tipical autumn's painting or postcard. 

September would be finished in a few days. And then her birthday would come soon. 

October's fourth. That would be her twenty ninth birthday. 

And her father's death anniversary.