Chapter 9 - Training School

Start from the beginning

“Wh-what?” I was shocked. This was completely out of the blue.  

“I know it’s a bit hard to accept this now, but you really don’t have a choice if you want to live. You won’t live normally until Faris decides to let you off. He’s just that desperate, Aria.”

I was trying to think logically. I had nothing to lose, really. My home had nothing for me. Olyrir was gone. I was reminded harshly.  

“Okay…”

Aaron seemed reluctant to discuss this with me. His eyebrows relaxed and settled into a relaxed expression.

“When will I leave?”

“Tomorrow morning. I have something to attend to right now, so I will leave you here, alright? Call Iris if you need anything.” He got up swiftly and left, like a cat.

-          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow came like as though only a minute passed.

I was riding a horse to the training camp. I have rode horses only during special occasions and I really was not used to the rocking motion that came along with it.

I was introduced to my mentor, a well-muscled, tan man. He had a well-groomed moustache and beard. He was bald and his bulging muscles protruded out from his skin.

He was Robert, a strict man with a tight schedule.

“At 10 am sharp, you will report at the field. We will do some testing to see which weapon would suit you best. Do not be late.” His voice was harsh and had a note of finality.

I gulped involuntarily.

“Yes sir.”

Ren shuddered.

“I don’t like this guy.” He noted.

“Your familiar will be present too. He needs training as well.” He barked.

Ren groaned in our internal mind connection.

Later, I was doing running, rounds and rounds and rounds around the whole facility. My muscles were burning but Robert continued to push me on. I had already completed some simple tests. He tested my reaction time. He tested my flexibility. He tested my sprinting. He then tested long distance runs. Now, he wanted to test my endurance and stamina.

“Move it!” He screamed into my ear.

I was panting and sweating like a mad dog. I had eased my hair into a ponytail but my hair was still annoying me by clinging to my wet skin. My lungs didn’t seem able to take in any more air and I was at my maximum. It wouldn’t be long before I would give in to exhaustion.

I had already memorized the whole facility, after running so many rounds. There were six blocks. One for weapons. One for hands-on fighting. One for training, with all kinds of exercise equipment. One was for obstacle crossing, to train people to learn to overcome obstacles with ease. This included crazy obstacle courses with high walls and tunnels. One was for familiar training. The last block was where all trainees lived.

Merely looking at the equipment caused dread in my stomach. Robert was not going to let me go after this, I realized sadly.

I did another last round before I finally gave in to my tired legs and dropped to the floor.

“Push-ups. NOW!” He yelled, spit flying on me.

I dropped down without question and struggled to do even one. I was just so exhausted. My muscles were burning, straining against my weight.