Chapter 13 - Familiar and Owner

“What is his problem, anyway? Ow-” I said, exasperated. I was cut off suddenly when Janice slathered some transparent glue all over the open incision. It had finally stopped bleeding after adorning the floor with countless red spots.

“It’s some kind of glue used to seal up wounds. Now keep still!” Janice said in a tone of a concerned mother.

I sucked in fresh air and I bit down on my lip, hard. I let out a strangled cry of relief when Janice finally wrapped up the wound with clean white bandages.

“He’s very pissed off right now. I suggest that you do not do anything to enrage him further.” Raphael muttered, smiling grimly.

“I didn’t even do anyth-”

“Don’t test his patience, really. That incision is merely a drop of gooey magma from his ever-erupting volcano.” Raphael was serious.

“Forget him.” I dismissed the topic with a flick of my hand.

Janice started packing up the bandages and cleaning up the area. Raphael stood up swiftly to help her.

“You two battled really well just now, anyway.”

Janice blushed slightly. Raphael smiled at the compliment.

“I could have done better though. If I had worked more on my offensive skills, maybe I could have beaten him.” Janice timidly said.

“Nonsense. You did well.” Raphael’s voice was soft.

“Well, let’s head to our next class. Aria, where’s your next class?”

“Uhm…Horse training.”

“Oh, Raphael’s going to pass through the stables so he can take you there. I need to go to the obstacle training area. See you!” Janice hurried away.

I was supporting my injured arm gently and gritting my teeth. Any tiny movement caused a burst of pain at the incision.

Raphael walked down the hallway with confidence, knowing the route well. He was silent as he led me down the stairs.

“I hate him…so much!” I declared after another unbearable wave of pain passed through my active nerves.

“You shouldn’t have angered him in the first place.” Raphael reasoned.

“I’m not giving in to that crow!”

“He’s already holding back more because you are a girl, the second girl in the whole academy. Do you really want one of your bones split into half?”

“Well-”

Raphael stopped walking and turned back to face me.

“For your own safety and well-being, I sincerely hope you stop challenging him.” Raphael told me seriously, without letting his gaze drop.

A flicker of worry flitted across his eyes. He was worried about me? He smoothly turned and continued down the stairs.

We reached the stables soon enough. My heart leapt in joy when I realised Bain wasn’t there. The atmosphere was so much more relaxed, filled with excitement.

Horse training lesson passed quickly. I learnt how to mount and care for a horse properly. The horse I was assigned to was tame and very calm. He was patient and gentle. I could make mistakes and the horse wouldn’t react.

It was actually fun and I was smiling by the end of the lesson.

Next was obstacle training. It was just a matter of running and jumping over specially built obstacles. It was easy for me since I had spent most of my time jumping through the forest with grace back in my village. It too passed quickly. Time always passed so quickly when you were having fun.