𝒗. the training center

★★★

THUNK.

THE GIRL FROM TWO throws very well.

Thunk.

Forget "very well". She doesn't miss a single throw.

Thunk. Thunk. Thunk.

That spin was a little dramatic, but it does add to her appeal. Three bull's-eyes in a row. I wonder if I'll be her next target in the arena.

Thunk.

"You're staring, hon."

I startle and turn to see the blonde from One (Glimmer Belcourt, I think) standing a little too close to comfort. I stutter. "Um, I was just..."

Glimmer crosses her arms and smirks. "Ogling Two's little darling? Yeah, that's what you were doing."

A small frown tugs at my lips. I've been caught in the act. "I was only observing my fellow tribute," I say stiffly, standing up from my crouch at the edible plants station. Plants are an alien thing to me, having grown up in the technology district. "I'd like to find out more about my potential killers, if you will."

To my surprise, Glimmer laughs. "Well, aren't you bright."

There it is again. You're a bright one, aren't you? The brightest girl in Panem. Well aren't you bright.

Glimmer leans casually against the wall, crossing her long legs in front of her. She is even more gorgeous up close, her perfect, pretty features relaxed in an easy smile. She's tall and beautiful, golden-haired and sparkling-eyed. "Am I intimidating you, Three?"

I shake my head quickly. "No."

She chuckles. "Did you know attraction is another form of intimidation?"

At that, I blush again. "What do you mean?" What's she implying? That I'm attracted to her? Or to Clove?

She leans in close, too close. I can smell her perfume, something flowery. "I mean, attraction can be dangerous." Glimmer practically purrs out the last word, her voice dropping to something dark and smooth as silk. "Be careful, Three. Stay away from Clove if you don't want a knife in your back. Or slicing up that pretty throat." She reaches out a finger and traces the lines of my neck. I swallow. Her eyes glint.

Glimmer winks, and then she's pulling away, pushing off the wall and sauntering over to the bows section where she strings an arrow and starts hitting targets. I blink a few times, then get to my feet and walk over to the snares area. Finally, something I'm actually good at.

The snares instructor recognizes the years of experience in my fingers and immediately assigns me more complicated snares to rig. I'm just finishing up one that will leave an opponent dangling from their feet in the air when I feel someone's eyes on me and spin around. Clove.