VI

My parents owned a handgun, but they would hide it from Ashton and me. It was for protection. It was for emergencies. It was for situations absolutely impossible to get out of. One day, Luke found it. He showed it to me when my parents weren't home. He let me take it. Let me hold it. Let me keep it. With my finger on the trigger, Someone felt at home.
At night, my parents were snoring, oblivious to their fates. I slowly, ever so slowly opened the door, absolutely silent. I stepped onto the soft carpet of their room, my entire body tense and cold. The gun was like ice in my hand, the chill piercing my skin. The gun was smooth and sophisticated, yet rough and rowdy. So many things are protected by the darkness, but they weren't that night. Someone's arm lifted, surprisingly confident in their actions. They pulled the trigger gently, ever so gently, but the sharp crack of the gun was anything but gentle. The bullet lodged itself into the chest of my father somehow, proving Someone's skill. I wasn't there in my body. Someone else was and I was watching from a distance, feeling everything. The slide of the trigger, the bullet shooting across the room, his body stopping so quickly, the seeping blood, everything. Someone fired two more times, but I could no longer watch. I could feel. I could feel each bullet and the damage they created. The smell of metal mixed with ash was sickening, but Someone thought it was soothing. Someone moved on to my mother, who was waking up. Her quick pulse was stopped so suddenly by Someone so selfishly, yet so gracefully. Not a bullet was wasted, everything was used properly. Two more shots for her were taken and I felt nothing. Back in my body now. Gun in my hand. Luke was by my side, smiling. He was always smiling when things like that happened. He always smiled when he got what he wanted. I dropped the fun, letting it fall to my feet. Luke nodded, smile growing.
"Remember," he whispers. "No one, not even them, can love you as much as I do," I think he was trying to comfort me, but I wasn't sad. I wasn't scared, either. Never any emotion. I was just there like he was for me.

• • •