Part VI

It's been almost three years since I revealed my true identity to the members of GOT7.
Almost three years since I packed my bags and moved to Hong Kong.
I was dreading it at first, feeling out of place and wanted to go back to Seoul. Back to my fake assistant job.

Eventually I started to feel more and more comfortable in my new job, I had more responsibilities and thus less time to think about what could've been.
I deliberately avoided social media and didn't even think about looking up GOT7 on the internet.
I was solely focusing on my career. No boyfriends, no heartbreak, nothing.

But after three years my stay in Hong Kong was slowing coming to an end and thoughts about what laid ahead creeped back into my mind.
Although Seoul was a big city I still worried about the possibility of running into a certain someone.
Thankfully I was way too busy tying loose ends and wrapping up my work here to be thinking about what would happen once I returned to Seoul.

"You're coming to dinner with me tonight."

"Mr. Chang I-" I protested, but stopped when I saw my boss' pleading face.

"Please. The client backed me into a corner and I can't go there alone."

"Alright, fine. I'll come."

"I'm picking you up at 7. Have you finished the paperwork for your replacement yet?"

"Almost."

"Alright, see you later."

I chuckled. The man I thought was a fierce workaholic four years ago when I first moved to Seoul turned out to be a trusted confidant and well respected authority figure.

"We've come a long way." My voice echoed in the large empty office.

Most of my stuff was already back in Seoul.

"I wonder if Jackson got over me. He was probably too busy to thing about some random girl who lied to him."

For a moment I toyed with the idea of contacting him. Sit down and talk. The truth is I wanted to say so much to him. Apologize for not being honest. But I realized that it wasn't his well-being I was concerned about, it was mine. I just wanted to get some things off my chest.

A week later...

It was the day of my return to Seoul and I was already swamped with work. No easing in, no days off to acclimate. I buried my head in paperwork the minute got on the plane.
Steve texted and insisted on picking me up from the airport in Seoul and he too brought presents.

"What are these?" I had asked, half expecting him to play down the importance of the thick manila envelopes he carried with him.

"Contracts of some new clients for you to skim."

"Oh Steve, you shouldn't have!" I replied sarcastically.

"I bet those three years were hectic."

"Well, I wasn't away on vacation." I noted.

"Right." He mumbled while handing me the envelopes. "Oh by the way, I have a present for you!"

"More envelopes?"

"Nooo! It's something much better!"

~

"Tell me what it is!" I blurted out, nearly half an hour after we left the airport parking lot. It was till 7am and caffeine hadn't kicked in yet.

"I can't. You'll see it once we get there."

"Steve, do you want to look for a new job?"

"Yeah, threats won't work on me. You can't fire me. Only Mr. Kim can." He flashed a big grin.