Part IV

"How did you know I was there?"

"Hmm?" Jackson looked up, his cheeks stuffed with food. It made me chuckle.

"How did you know I was at the company?"

"Oh! I.. I didn't. I was there for a meeting. I just happen to run into you."

"Right!" I wasn't convinced. That weird hoobae guy must've told him. 

We both continued eating in silence. It wasn't awkward all which was a first for me.

"AH! I almost forgot... What is a hoobae?" I said all of a sudden.

"What?"

"A hoobae!"

"It's someone who entered the company after you did."

"Ah...Do I have one too?"

That made Jackson laugh out loud. It made me realize just how deep and vibrant his voice was. 

"I'm not sure."

"Oh..."

"And what ab-"

"These are called sunbaes." 

"I get it."

"You're not too familiar with Korean culture, are you?"

"Not you, too!"

"Huh? Who else said it?"

"Someone I met earlier in the elevator."

"So...?" He looked at me expectantly.

"No, I guess I'm not that familiar." My voice trailed off.

"Don't worry. I'll be your mentor." He announced with a smile.

There it is again. That gorgeous smile!

"Jackson! You're Chinese!"

"But I know a lot about Korean culture. I can teach you."

"Alright. But I'm warning you. I was a nerd in school, I'm gonna bug you a lot and ask a lot of questions."

"I like that!" He said with a smile that could melt the entire arctic ice. 

He didn't break the eye contact but instead stared more intensely. As if he tried to look into my soul. For a short moment I forgot that he was a successful idol. For a short moment I forgot I was lying to him about who I was. For a short moment I just enjoyed being with him. I let my guard down. 

The moment was over when my phone rang. 

An unknown number. Soo Min!

"I'm sorry but I have to take this." I excused myself and stepped outside to answer.

" Hello? Soo Min?"

"Yes, It's me. Is this Jennifer?"

"Yes! OMG I'm so glad you finally called. Listen, I'm terribly sorry about what happened that day. If you can come to the company we'll explain everything and you can have your job back!"

"There's a reason why I haven't contacted you earlier. I'm not at all mad at you. Actually it worked out for the best. I got an other job offer the next day so I don't need the assistant job anymore. You can have it, don't feel bad about it!"

Oh no! No, no, no! That's bad!

"Soo Min, I, too, have a job. I- ... I-."

"I see."