Jade nodded. “Sounds good.”

The girls headed for Jade’s car in the underground carpark and got in, Jade pulling out and heading for the movie theatre. In the silence that ensued, Tori suddenly had a thought.

“Is this a date?” she blurted out. Jade grinned and chuckled.

“Sure, if you want it to be,” she replied, winking at the brunette. Tori definitely wanted it to be and smiled happily all the way to the cinemas.

The girls bickered amiably about what film they wanted to see the entire way into the building. However, as soon as they got inside they both exclaimed, “Interstellar!”

Jade grinned at Tori. “So Interstellar?”

Tori blushed and nodded. Jade paid for their tickets (despite Tori’s arguments) and they compromised on the popcorn which Tori purchased. They sat down in the cool theatre and in the dark, Tori rested her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder.

*

“That was the most incredible film I have ever seen,” Tori commented three hours later as they sat in the car, munching on the leftover popcorn.

“I didn’t really get it,” Jade admitted looking out of the window at the darkening sky. It was getting late and Tori would have to go home soon.

“Yeah, it was a bit complicated,” Tori mumbled. “D-do you think that maybe I could go over to your house instead of going home tonight?”

The effect was immediate. Jade’s entire body stiffened, her hand clenched against the steering wheel, knuckles going unbearably white.

“No,” she said quietly. “You can’t come over. Not now, not ever.”

Tori was hurt. It surprised her how much that hurt.

“Why not?” she demanded. Jade still refused to look at her.

Tori,” Jade stressed. “Can’t you just accept that I have a perfectly good reason why you can never come to my house?”

Tori narrowed her eyes, slightly angry now. “Not unless you tell me that reason!”

The raven-haired beauty finally turned around to look at her girlfriend. Tori was shocked to see the pure agitation and fear etched on her beautiful face. The brunette couldn’t understand it, couldn’t understand why Jade was so afraid of the idea.

“You just can’t, okay? It-it wouldn’t be smart.” Jade’s voice trembled slightly and worry burst through Tori’s veins. Something wasn’t right here. The brunette gently put a hand on Jade’s thigh and the girl flinched.

“Jade, what is going on?” Tori asked firmly.

“Nothing! Just because we’re together now, doesn’t mean I have to tell you everything!” Jade exploded. Tori felt tears of frustration, anger and hurt prickle at her eyes. She recognized the defense mechanism that Jade always returned to when she wasn’t comfortable with the situation, when she wasn’t in control. It wasn’t an excuse to talk to her like that though.

“Actually, being in a relationship does mean that! It means trust,” Tori bit back. “Don’t you trust me?”

Jade’s features softened as she saw the unshed tears glistening in the brunette’s eyes.

“Of course I do, Tori,” she sighed. “I didn’t mean it, okay? It’s just- some things are better left unsaid.”

Tori didn’t reply, only sinking back into the car seat and glaring out of the window. She knew she was being childish and possibly even selfish, but right then, she didn’t care. She wanted Jade to be able to tell her everything. She wanted her to trust her completely.