epilogue

It had been almost a year since Bokuto and Akaashi had started dating. Throughout the entire time, both had done nothing but support each other throughout their relationship.

Bokuto had graduated high school and went on to keep training and pursuing his dreams of being the ace. Akaashi had done all he could to keep Bokuto's morale high when he was having a bad training day or official match.

He managed to uphold his promise to Bokuto, watching him give his all in matches as a loyal spectator. That is, the only time he missed it was when he was attending a top surgery consultation Bokuto had surprised him with on his birthday.

Akaashi decided to express his gratitude for all the memories, opportunities and growth by taking Bokuto on a walk. Bokuto happily complied, always loving when Akaashi wanted to spend time together with him.

The two took a stroll down the park where they attended prom together. Akaashi decided it would be best for him to remain home schooled as he found the environment a lot more adaptable to work, so the two boys were very well aware that they would not be able to have a second prom.

Both of the boys just talked, reminding themselves of their treasured memories  talking about the uncertainty of the future and freely talking about anything else that comes to mind. No matter what topic either of the boys discussed, there was never a dull moment between them.

"Bokuto, can we stop here for a bit? There's something I want to talk about."
"Sure, Akaashi!"

Akaashi held both of Bokuto's hands within his own and looked up to see his favourite smile. "It's just passed midnight. That means it's officially our anniversary. I wanted to time this perfectly, so..."

Akaashi loosened his grip ever so slightly. "To my left is a lamppost. Over a year ago, Konoha decided to write my phone number on it after I failed a silly dare. That's when you came along and actually phoned me. At that time, I didn't expect that call to be such an important part of my life. If I'm being honest, I thank that arrangement of numbers for providing me with the best year of my life."

Bokuto choked back tears, overwhelmed by the affection. "I know that we can't get married, but Bokuto, I intend to spend the rest of my life with you. Even if the day never comes that we can walk down the aisle, my love for you is all the same and being here... Being where it all started with you still here with me is just the most liberating feeling."

Bokuto kissed Akaashi, ignoring the sudden formation of raindrops starting to descend upon them. "Akaashi, you mean the world to me. I can't believe you did all this, I really don't deserve anything near as sentimental as this. I have a few surprises planned for today, but it seems I might have to plan a bit more."

Akaashi giggled before trailing his eyes to meet Bokuto's. "No matter what we do, I know you picked it for a certain reason. Thought is more important than trying to prove a message."

The two smiled at each other, taking in the moment to form into memories. Nothing in that instance could have a ruined the beginning of their anniversary. Bokuto had Akaashi and Akaashi had Bokuto. They hadn't been ashamed of being themselves, so as long as they remained together, they didn't mind whatever life threw at them.