Chapter Seven ~ Arrival

This is what Apophis looks like!  Please vote and comment!

With shakey legs, Beatrix stepped off of the elven boat.  She exhaled a quick sigh of relief; they had made it.  She felt a tingle of warm air on the back of her neck as Apophis descended from the sky, landing right beside.  She looked up at him and placed a hand on his neck.  He hummed deeply in satisfaction.  

They watched as the elves swiftly removed their belongings from the boat, refusing help from Beatrix when she offered.

"You are a Shur'tugal now, Beatrix," they had said.  "You must be treated as one."

She had thanked them quietly, not quite sure of what to do.  Just three weeks ago, an elf wouldn't have even looked at her; now eight of them were serving her.  It was... scary.  She didn't want to admit it, but it was true.  She shuddered at the thought of her future, knowing that she would never be able to live the life she once had.

Apophis lowered his head to her height and nudged her gently.  He sent her a mental image of the elves hauling the boat onto the shore.  Her sorrow was instantly replaced with excitement; they were about to set off for Ellesmera!

The elves walked over to them, their figures outlined by the faint light of dawn.  She couldn't wait to see the sun rise in Ellesmera.  Nari walked up to them, his features light with enthusiasm.

"Right before we enter Ellesmera, we will have to stop."

"Stop?" Beatrix questioned.

"Yes, stop.  Gilderien the Wise guards our fair city, and he only allows those with pure intentions to enter."

Beatrix nodded quickly, eager to be off.  Apophis roared and lept off of the ground and into the light blue sky.  She felt his conscience at the back of her mind, receding as he went higher.

Since they no longer had horses, they continued on foot.  The elves guarded her, flitting in and out of the trees; sometimes they even seemed to become trees, but she knew that her mind was playing tricks on her.  That simply wasn't possible.  While they walked, the sun started to make its slow ascent into the sky.  She welcomed the few beams of light with delight; she was tired of the gloom of night.  

The elf Nari gracefully strode up to her, and they began to review her lessons.  She practiced greeting phrases and hand gustures again, just like they had while on the boat.  She enjoyed Nari's company.  He seemed the most... human out of the all the elves, and she was grateful for that.  After she had perfected her greetings, Nari held out hand, signaling for everyone to stop.  The elves halted to a perfect pause while Beatrix almost tripped on a rock.  She cursed under her breath and shuffled her feet.  From the skies, she could feel Apophis's amusement at her clumsiness.

Oh, shut it, she ordered Apophis.  He laughed deeply at her frustration.  She harrumphed and straightened her back, angry at her humanity.  Why did she have to be so clumsy?

The trees rustled, and the hair on the back of her neck stood up.  The elves looked around, expressions of delight on their faces.  What was going on?  Then she saw him.  He was definitely an elf, but unlike the eight that she had been with for the past three weeks.  He was very tall with lean muscles rippling under his fair skin.  Robes of bright white billowed around him, and light from above the green canopy seemed to surround him like halo.  His face was old, noble, and serene.

"Beatrix," murmered Nari.

"Show him your palm."

Beatrix cautioulsy raised her right hand, the one with the swirling Gedwey Ignasia on it.  The elf peered closey and raised his arms, smiling.  

"We may enter," muttered Nari.  Beatrix nodded and turned her gaze back to the old elf, preparing to thank him in the ancient language.  But he was gone.  She looked questioningly at Nari, about to ask where he had gone, but he spoke first, harshly.

"Do not question the ways of Gilderien the Wise.  He has protected the borders of Ellesmera since the fall of the Riders.  He will do as he wishes."

And with that he strode off into the forest, into Ellesmera. 

Beatrix looked at him distastefully, shocked at his sudden outburst.  Apophis landed with a thud beside her.  He shared her same confusion.  The other elves surrounded them, joy apperent on their faces.  

"Ride your dragon, Argetlam," a fair elven woman with black hair told her.  

"I-" she was interupted.

"It would do good for our people to see a young Rider and Dragon walk together within our city," a different elf said.

"If it pleases you, then I shall," Beatrix said.  She forced her voice to be light and cheery, though what she was really feeling was nervousness.  She had never riden upon Apophis's back.  She swallowed her anticipation and walked over to Apophis, twigs crunching beneath her boots.  She stroked his side, looking for a good handhold.  He bent his legs so that his stomach was now resting on the ground.

"Thanks," she murmmured quietly.  He flicked his tail in response.  There was a little crevice in his leg that she was able to fit the tip of her worn boot in.  She grabbed a spike on his neck and hoisted herself up, grunting with the effort.  He stood up, making Beatrix feel very tall from upon his back.  She squirmed around, unable to find a comfortable position.  After a short moment, she slid into a slight dip at the base of his neck.  She smiled with approval and patted his neck.

"Let's go!"

At first, Beatrix thought that they had made a wrong turn, or gone down the river too far.  Everything seemed the same.  She couldn't see any mighty city for miles in either direction.  But then she began to notice curves to trees that shouldn't have been there.  Soft amber light that should have been in shadow.  Paths hidden among the bushes and trees.  The shapes of twigs and branches and flowers, so subtle that it nearly escaped notice- clues that what she was seeing was not enirely natural.

Beatrix blinked.  Her vision shifted suddenly, as if a lens had been placed over her eyes.  Yes, those were paths.  But no, those were not just trees.  What she had mistaken for a thick, old tree was actually a graceful building.  She gasped; they were everywhere.  The buildings seemed to have grown straight out of the trees, made from the bark of what ever tree it was apart of.  Thin, elegant trees morphed into tall, lean elves.  They flitted in and out of the trees, watching as she and Apophis stumbled through their city.  The elves that had accomponied them from Teirm stopped in front of them, causing Apophis to stop.  She rubbed her hand on his side.

Nari stepped forth and said, "This is where we part for now, Argetlam and Bjartskular.  Welcome to Ellesmera."

"Thank you Nari," Beatrix said for both her and Apophis in the ancient language.  They were both surprised by his sudden change of mood.  All of the elves that had gathered in the clearing took that as a sign to disapear back into the trees, but she knew that they were still close, proably watching them.  All of the elves but Nari left, leaving her and Apophis alone with him in the clearing.

"We will be going to Tialdari Hall, where you both will visit with Queen Arya.  After that, I will escort you to your quarters, and tomorrow morning you will begin your training," Nari told them.

Beatrix nodded, unable to form words.  Apophis however, let loose a roar of triumph.  And with that, they approached Tialdari hall.