Chapter Five ~ Stars

Beatrix thumped around in her saddle, still not accustomed to riding the elven horses. After a full day of riding, her lower back was screaming in soreness, but she refused to stop. Never before had she ridden horses, and she didn't plan too after this trip, although at some point she knew that she would have too. She could feel Apophis' concern for her, but being able to speak only one word (Beatrix) limited his communication with her to only feelings and images. She still had yet to get used to Apophis' strange but comforting presence. It calmed her knowing that somebody always had her back, no matter how tiny they were. And that someone was Apophis.

"Squeak!" he said, sending her a mental image of the sky. She could feel his longing to spread his wings and fly up and into the azure sky, but he was definitely not big enough to support himself, much less his Rider.

Beatrix patted his head and said through their connection, Someday.

~~~~~~~

Beatrix laid on top of her bed roll lying on her back, legs folded and hands uderneath her head. She smiled slightly as she gazed at the stars. Never before had she seen them so bright.

"Beautiful, aren't they?" a melodical voice said from behind her. She sat upright and turned her head, facing the speaker. Her heart beat slowed as she gazed upon a young elf. Atleast, he looked young. Perhaps a few years older.

She smiled, "Yes, they are. I've never seen them this bright before."

"Just wait until you see the stars of Du Weldenvarden. They are magnifecent," he told her, the look in his eyes showing his longing for his home. She took in his features. He was handsome, but then again, all elves were. He had trimmed black hair, and dark blue slanted eyes.

A question formed in her mind as she stared up at the night sky. She hadn't seen Queen Arya or Firnen since yesterday. Could they have really slipped away without her noticing?

"I'm Beatrix, by the way."

He laughed, "I know." It wasn't mean or spiteful, but rather cheerful. "I'm Nari."

"Well Nari, I have a question." He stayed silent, waitng for her to continue.

"Where are Queen Arya and Firnen?"

He remained silent for a few moments, then said, "They left just this morning. They had to make a quick trip to Ilirea."

Ilirea? "How come?"

He hesitated, as if not wanting to share. After a few long moments, he said quietly, "There have been some... disagreements about Nasuada taking the throne." She noticed that he said Nasuada, not Queen Nasuada.

"Queen Arya and Firnen went to resolve these disagreements."

She nodded, not entirely believing him. Something else was happening, but she couldn't quite yet see the whole picture. Wondering why Nari didn't trust her, her father's last words before she departed rang in her head: "Be cautious..."

~~~~~~~

Apophis snorted as a chunk of meat flew past him. You gotta catch that, Apophis! Beatrix told him. He raised his head high and opened his mouth, motioning for her to throw another piece. She did. Beatrix watched in awe as he propelled himself off of the ground using his hind legs, spreading his wings to maintain the height he was at, and caught the hunk of meat in his mouth. Beatrix laughed as she felt his pleasure in succeding flowing into her. Beatrix, he said. He had taken a liking to saying Beatrix over and over again, making her wish that she had been named anything other than Beatrix.

I can't wait for the day when you learn to speak, she told him.

Beatrix! he said, pleased that he had frustrated her. She groaned and covered her eyes with her hands.

Apophis had grown over the past two days. He was now the size of an average dog, his head reaching just above her knees. It was remarkable how fast he was growing. In no time, he'd be bigger than she.

They'd neared the Hadarac Desert just before dawn yesterday. Now, as she rolled up her sleeping mat and blanket, she thought about how dry and baren the desert would be. She had heard stories of the Hadarac from the nomads who made their way to Teirm. They all said that it was a desolate and lifeless place; not exactly the type of place she wanted to spend the next four days in. The elves chanted a few words in the ancient language, and a hole, about two feet all around, appeared in the ground. Soon, water started filling the hole. Magic amazed her. What amazed her even more was the fact that she, just plain old Beatrix from Teirm, would be casting spells of her own someday. They let all of the gleaming white horses take a gulp from the hole, and then she and the elves filled up their canteens last. She felt slightly awkward and very clumsy compared to the elves, being the only human. It gave her odd feelings, not being with any member of her own race.

Appearing in charge now that Queen Arya was gone, Nari shouted with joy, "Let's go!" She hoisted herself onto the saddle, and Apophis jumped up, flaring his wings to gain altitude. He settled in her lap, ruffling his wings just as a bird would its feathers. After another five days or so, he would be too big to sit in her lap. She decided to deal with that problem later. Right now, they had too cross the Hadarac Desert while their supplies lasted. She shouted a word in the ancient language. Go! it meant. The elves had shown her how to command her horse. All she had to do was say a word in the ancient language, and her horse would respond. He neighed once, and set off at a fast trot, one that he would be able to keep for all day. Just like elves, elven horses were agile and strong.

She watched as the hours flew by, the landscape changing rapidly. The recent oak trees and rolling hills had turned into a dry plain with very little vegetation. When night fell, she expected to stop and make camp, but they forged on through the clear night, bringing the strong horses close to their limits. They finally settled down when the moon was already high in the sky, the stars shimmering brilliantly. As soon as Apophis had drifted off of the horse along with Beatrix hoping off and detaching the saddle bags, the horse gave a great neigh! and ran off into the night. She had absolutely no doubt that he would return as soon as she called. As soon as she had laid down her bed roll, she grabbed her blanket and plopped down, Apophis snuggling up next to her.

"Goodnight Apophis," she whispered aloud and with her mind.

Goodnight Beatrix, he whispered in the same tone. She fell asleep with a smile on her face.

The next morning, as well as many days after, she had fallen into a routine. Wake up, eat, pack up, ride until dusk, unpack, sleep, repeat, until she noticed that the landscape was changing yet again. The previous sand dunes and shriveled up shrubs were ever so slowly turning into small green bushes, and patches of fresh soil here and there. After their fourth day in the Hadarac, they saw their first tree. It was taller than any she'd ever seen before, with dark red wood and clusters of needles, each cluster hosting seven dark green needles. She smiled; they were nearing Du Weldenvarden.

On their fifth day since entering the desert, the trees and bushes became more widespread, and the final grains of sand were swept away and turned into lush green grass and dark brown soil. In the distance, a dark blotch appeared on the horizan. The blotch spread from side to side, seemingly never ending. She smiled, for the dark line was a wall of trees.

They had reached Du Weldenvarden!