Thirteen

💛💛💛

≪ °❈° ≫≪ °❈° ≫≪ °❈° ≫≪ °❈° ≫

Sep. 11, 2001 8:30                                                                                            Downtown

I decided that I was going to surprise John with some baked goods when he gets home from work. 

I get to the bakery and open the door, the sweet scent wafting into my nose. 

It is intoxicating. 

My friend Eliza works today so I go up to the register and say hi to her. 

"Hey, liza!"

 "Hi Alex." she blushes, it is no secret Eliza has a crush on me, but I am committed to John and she knows that. She would never try anything, that's not the kind of person she is. 

"Today is my anniversary and I need some treats." 

"Ok! What is it you'd want?" 

"I have no idea, Liz." she laughs. 

"Okay, you want it to be sweet right?" 

"yes."

 "Okay, we have this chocolate chip bread that is to die for, and these custard-filled sweet buns that are also really good. I'll grab you two each. Then we have these blueberry buns with powdered sugar so I'll get you three of those because they are small, and a box of palmiers. I know how much you guys like pastries."

 "That sounds perfect! How much?" 

"Oh no Alex, it's your anniversary, on me."

 "Eliza no."

 "Alex yes."

 "no" 

"yes" 

"no"

 "yes" 

"ahh fine" 

"yay!" Eliza exclaims, throwing her arms in the air. 

She hands me the pastries and I walk towards the door, 

"Happy anniversary!!!" "Thanks, Liza!"

 As soon as I open the door I smell smoke, lots of it. A fire truck whines past me, lights and sirens on. I turn around to a confused Eliza. 

"Turn on the news," I say to her, she quickly searches the back for a remote to the tv. 

She finds it and comes running out, the tv clicks on and the news is blaring at me.

 My eyes widen and I drop the pastries and bolt out the door, praying John is home from work.