Chapter 29 | I Hate You All So Much

Start from the beginning

“Okay,” I reply. “I love you,” I call after him as he’s walking out of the bedroom.

“I love you too,” He calls over his shoulder, closing the door shut behind him.

I hear him walking down the hallway and then the sound of the front door opening and closing. Shortly thereafter, I hear his car starting up and driving away outside. That’s when a quiet vibrating noise starts going off and I start looking around the room. My phone’s in bathroom— at least, that’s where I left it at— and I don’t know anything else that could be vibrating. After a few seconds, my eyes fall on Graham’s iPhone, which is sitting on the nightstand, illuminated and vibrating with an incoming call. I guess he forgot to grab it on his way out. I know I should just let it ring because it’s really none of my business who calls Graham, but curiosity gets the better of me.

Pulling the cover with me, I sit up in the bed and grab Graham’s phone from the table, glancing down at it. I let out a small laugh when I see the name on the Caller I.D.— Satan’s Daughter— and there’s a picture of Carson herself. The fact that that’s what Graham’s got her number saved under amuses me, but what annoys me is the fact that she’s calling my boyfriend. I mean, I think that Graham made it blatantly clear at Cassidy and Tucker’s wedding reception that he hates Carson’s guts and doesn’t want to be her friend— so why is she calling him?

I clear the “missed call” notification and then see that there’s also three text messages— all unread and all from Carson. I can’t read them though, because the text preview thing isn’t enabled on Graham’s phone for some weird reason, which means I’m going to need his passcode to read them. I realize then that maybe I should just put his phone down and pretend I didn’t see anything. Clearly, he hasn’t texted Carson back or even read her text messages, which must mean he doesn’t want to talk to her. I have no reason in the world not to trust Graham, but I have every reason in the world not to trust his lying, dirty, cheating, conniving ex-girlfriend.

That’s when I start thinking, trying to figure out what four digits Graham could have possibly used as his passcode. I try the last four digits of his phone number— wrong; 1234— wrong; his jersey number and a couple of zeroes— wrong; the four numbers of his home address— wrong. I decide then that if I don’t get it on the fifth try, I’m just going to stop so that a. I don’t lock his phone up and b. I don’t look obsessive or crazy or anything. And since I have absolutely no other guesses, I put in “0106” and hit enter and surprisingly enough, the screen unlocks.

That’s when we got together— January 6— and the only reason I can think of as why Graham would use it is because he knows that practically know one else knows the exact date that we got together and he probably never thought I’d try to hack into his phone. But I’m only doing this because I really need to know what’s so important that Carson feels the need to keep calling him and texting him like crazy.

I go to Graham’s text messages and see that he has well over 100 unread, which is crazy to me. I don’t really care about any of them though, aside from the thread with Carson, which is the first one I see. I click on it and quickly read over her last three text messages:

6:08 a.m. - Guess what school I got into. Do you give up? I’m gonna tell you; UCLA!

Seems innocent enough, although I don’t know why she thinks Graham would care.

8:13 a.m. - Do you ever miss me?

That one makes me roll my eyes. So Tumblr.

11:11 a.m. - So, if you’re not going to text me back or return my phone calls, I’m just going to pour everything I need to say to you into this text message. I know that you probably won’t reply, but I need to say this anyway. I love you, Graham. Okay? I really, really, really love you and I know it’s my fault that we’re not together anymore and I know that you hate me for cheating on you, but not as much as I hate myself. I know that you have a girlfriend and I don’t really remember her name, but I just needed to let you know that. I know you don’t want to talk to me, but believe it or not, I do care about you a lot and I know that you still love me, even if you don’t want. So, if you ever need me, I’ll be here. Seriously, if you need anything at all.