Friday Night

Stan had organised it, but it had been Bill's idea. A trip away, a weekend in the middle of nowhere in a complex of cabins near a number of activity centres: rock-climbing, high-wire, water sports on a large lake. It seemed perfect.

Since Bill and Bev were now both able to drive, they'd ferried in two cars on the Friday evening after school. It was dark by the time they arrived, and they all were tired enough to agree on an early first night, so they were best rested for the weekend ahead.

'So,' Stan stated as he slung his backpack onto the kitchen table, 'we have this floor for me, Bill, Richie and Eddie. Then Mike, Ben and Bev have upstairs.'

'Cool,' Mike nodded.

'Goodnight, guys,' Bev hollered, starting to make her way upstairs.

'See you down here in the morning,' Ben said, and with that, the three disappeared.

Stan wandered down the corridor. 'It's two double rooms down here. So, Bill and I will take this one and you two take the other one?'

Eddie went pale, his eyes stoic. Richie eyed him, brow furrowed.

'Works for me.' Bill shrugged, hauling his packed gym bag over his shoulder and into the room.

'Double as in,' Eddie swallowed, 'sharing a bed?'

'Yeah,' Stan said. 'Is that a problem?'

'No,' Eddie squeaked, then coughed. 'No, it's fine.'

'Okay, good, because it's not like there's another option.' Stan chuckled, 'Unless you want the floor.'

'Can't argue with that.'

'Goodnight, guys,' Stan said, then disappeared into his room, carefully closing the door.

Richie and Eddie walked into their room. It was small, almost completely consumed by the double bed which sat under the window. Eddie shut the door with a click, then put his bag down on the bed.

'Are you alright sharing a room with me?' Richie asked carefully. The question penetrated the silence heavily.

'Yeah,' Eddie said quickly. 'Of course. Why?'

'Well, when Stan said it, you kinda looked like you wanted to kill someone. Or maybe,' he cocked his head, 'that you were having a stroke.'

'Ouch,' Eddie spluttered. 'Well, I'm fine.'

'You sure?'

'Why wouldn't I be?'

'I don't know. That's why I asked.' Richie shuffled, 'So, we're good?'

'Yeah, we're good,' Eddie smiled weakly, sitting down on the edge of the bed to unlace his shoes.

'I've,' Richie began, then stopped.

'What?'

'Nothing,' he shook his head, kicking off his sneakers.

'No, go on,' Eddie pressed.

Richie didn't look at him. 'I've missed you a bit. Lately.'

'I haven't been anywhere,' Eddie said, but his heart twanged.

'No, I know, it's just like,' he struggled, 'like you've been distant.'

'Distant?' Eddie tried to sound surprised.

'Yeah.'

'Oh.'

'I just,' Richie put his hands in his pockets and shrugged his shoulders up, 'want to know you're okay.'