Chapter 3

[ Word Count : 400 ]

Vida

I turned towards the voice and met face to face with the person I had been trying to avoid all week.

"Hi James..."

"Hi. Now can we talk? It's important," He asked.

Oh God, Why me?

"Of course, let's go outside," I replied and we walked outside the school and sat on a bench in the car park. I already knew what he was going to say, but I had to find a way out of this. I was thinking of something along the lines of running away, or calling someone to distract him, but it was too late anyways.

"You never replied to my message," He began.

He had told me at 3:43 pm last week Saturday that he liked me and I replied to him the next day asking if he had any gist, ignoring his confession. Rude, I know, but there was nothing I could do. It's not like he was disgusting or not worth replying, but I wanted a male best friend and nothing more.

We met in Year 9 when he used to crush on my best friend at the time, Stephanie. They dated for a while and for the time they were together, Stephanie's attitude towards me changed, I have no idea why. I guess she was not so happy with the new friends I had made since we were in different classes. During the holiday before grade 10, we became more like acquaintances, speaking to each other on rare occasions when we had to.

James was, and still is, a good friend. Well maybe I could have liked him, but I could never allow myself to do so. I did it to help myself. Besides, like I said, I wanted a male best friend and nothing more.

"-eenth time I'm calling your name,"

"Sorry what?" I asked, confused.

"I said this is the fifteenth time I am calling your name," He stared.

"Oh sorry, I zoned out"

He laughed, clearing the air "What are you always thinking about?"

"Stuff"

"Like..."

"Like stuff"

"Weirdo"

"Thank you. I like it like that," I smiled.

"Now back to the main issue," He rolled his eyes, "Why did you ignore my message?"

"Oh...about that. I'll explain it to you today immediately I get home."

"There is an explanation?"

"Yes, that's what I just said,"

"How? You'll call me?"

"I'll send you a message," I said.

But I never did.