Chapter Eight: Tale of the Two Sisters

Sorry my lovely readers... Life has been... Hectic.
~

Julia's POV
I quietly open my chamber's door and poke my head outside hoping that no one is around. It is late now as the sun has completely disappeared until tomorrow. I pull the hood from a dark grey wool cloak that I had found in an old trunk over my head and slip quietly down the hall. I've come to appreciate my trousers and my boots as they let me move freely while being quick and quiet.

As I make my way back up to the ships deck I stop at the top of the stairs with my heart in my throat. Howells voice rings loud and clear right above my head, yelling out orders to finish up for the night.

"Oy! If da captain be wakin up at dis very minute all of our heads will be off if he sees his ship lookin dis way! Pick it up will ya!" He bellows, his voice strained and tired.

Then I hear is footsteps make their way down the stairs and into the captains office, slamming the door shut. I let out a breath that I realize I was holding and make my way over to the docks. For whatever reason luck was on my side and I remained unseen when I ran down the ramp and onto the docks. Most of the crew have the night off, probably spending their time at the taverns getting drunk and trying their luck with the women.

Fear clutches my heart. Suddenly afraid that I could be taken and without the protection of Nate or Howell that fear was a possible reality. I shook my head, determined to confront this... Gypsy and demand for some answers. Demand for an antidote. Reaching into the small leather pouch I brought with me I take out a small dagger I took from the kitchen.

The smooth wooden handle feels foreign in my small hands. The sharp edge of the blade I point outward, not wanting to accidentally hurt myself rather than an attacker.

"If Charlie can do this. Then I can. She grew up a pirate while still being a woman, I can do this too. She's fearless. So am I." I mumble to myself, trying to rid myself of fear.

As I walk through the town of Tortuga, I make my way down the dark ally ways and find, to much my relief, that they are mostly empty and quiet. Finally, after a many wrong turns I find myself standing in the courtyard of the gypsys home. Much to my horror, the three bodies of the men who attacked us were still there.

Their bodies were bloated and their eyes were picked clean from the crows. Another, one of the twins, has their clothes taken and he lies there naked. My stomach churns violently and I heave up what was left of my dinner. Tears sting in my eyes.

"No matter how horrible these men were... They still do not deserve this." I whisper. I take a dirty sheet from someone's clothes line and drape it over the naked man's body. "May the gods be with you and your soul may find peace."

"You have a kind heart. Humph. Who knew" A woman's voice calls out from behind me, startled I whip around holding my blade up in the air. "Put that petty thing away before you hurt yourself, foolish girl." The woman laughs.

I squint my eyes and realize it's the gypsy woman. "What did you do?" I snarl at her. My anger returning.

She raises her eyebrows in amusement. Her blue eyes full of knowing. "I see he has drunk the bottle I gave him." She then shrugs. "I warned him if he wasn't fully ready he might not ever wake up."

My heart stills in my chest. "What? What do you mean? Why did you do this! It was poisoned then!"

She holds up both of her hands and laughs lightly. "Now dear. I do not poison people. If I were to kill them I would do it in a less kindly fashion." Her voice turns hard and cold.

"Then- what... I don't-" I stumble over my words.

"Of course you don't understand. Neither did he! For goodness' sake for a man like him he is really quite slow."