Chapter 40: Dragon Fails

Start from the beginning

"Serene! THIS IS FOR MY SISTER, YOU WITCH!" I hear, faint. I see Janessa run for Maleficent, holding her hands out with blue fire blazing from them.

"No..." I moan. But I'm too late, Maleficent holds her scepter out to meet my sister. Jenna doesn't stop in time, and the green jewel on top stops her mid-run.

"Stop your sister for me, will you?" I hear Maleficent say, a sly grin on her face. Janessa turns, her eyes blazing green, and rushes toward me.

That clears my thoughts, just for a moment. I barely have time to throw my hand up, creating a shimmering silver cage around my sister. The moment she touches the bars, her green eyes fade back to blue, and she shakes her head in confusion.

Maleficent scoffs, her horned silhouette growing larger by the second. "No matter. You're all too late!"

Time slows down.

I can see Janessa calling my name, trying to break my silver bars surrounding her. Eleanor is running for Maleficent, her wand held high. I can see Lucy shouting at Blake, who is working hard to keep Evan and Max from shocking him. Pitch is blocking spell after spell from Hayder, trying and failing to catch Brietta, Finn, and Danielle in bubbles or cages, but they're too fast for him.

On the surface, we should be winning. My plan should've worked. Light should've beaten back the dark.

So why didn't it?

Maybe it's my battered, weakened mind. Maybe it's something I knew all along. Maybe it's some other thing inside me, whispering instructions.

But I suddenly understand.

Pitch, Maleficent, and Blake have spent years preparing themselves for all of this. Even for me. The months I spent with them weren't just me learning from them. They were being taught my every side, my limits and power of both my light and dark, whether I knew it or not.

They can't be defeated by something they know well. The usual magic---Fairy Godmothers, mine, Eleanor's---is too tame, too predictable for them. We need something surprising, something they would never expect.

And luckily, I know just what that is.

Knowing full well I don't have the magic left in me to pull this off, I stand despite my exhaustion and thrust the ember into the air. "The time has come to lose your might, drown out the dark with life's pure light!" I shout, bringing my hands down. Silver light ripples from me in a wave of bright power, and I collapse to the ground.

It doesn't stop them. I knew it wouldn't. But it's enough to buy me time.

I drag myself to my feet, stumbling along and feeling the world fade around me just as I make it to the wand I dropped at the entrance. My fingers just barely clutch it when I hear Maleficent's bellow, and a burst of heat at my back from her flames. I turn, holding my wand in my hand, just in time to see Maleficent, in pure dragon form, flying straight for me.

"Brietta..." I whisper, falling to my knees. "Brietta. BRIETTA!" I shout, finally gathering all I have left in me to throw my wand her way. "CATCH!" Maleficent's dragon form crashes into me just as it leaves my hands, knocking all the breath out of me. My wand goes flying through the air, spinning nearly in slow motion. Maleficent's dragon claws crush around my stomach, lifting me into the air and then pulling back, throwing me down.

I land hard on the ground, creating a crater, feeling all of my energy give out as I lie limp while Maleficent's twisted green-and-purple lightning crashes around me, surrounding me in her magic. I should be burnt to a crisp, but my powers surround me with one last protection---a thin, flickering shield of their own combined efforts. I don't feel a thing, I can't anymore. I'm drained, too tired to feel any of it. I can barely see, barely hear, only the loud roar of Maleficent's triumph.

I close my eyes, preparing myself for whatever will happen when my shield finally breaks.

But it never comes. All I feel is a cool, calm relief. Something warm and comforting flows through me, sending sparks of energy singing through my veins until I finally open my eyes. Maleficent, Pitch and Blake are nowhere in sight, and everyone's staring at the rose-pink magic surrounding me, lifting me off the ground and setting me on my feet. The hollow, dead feeling inside me is gone, replaced with all the magic I had a few minutes ago, perfectly in balance again.

The room goes dead silent, and everyone turns slowly to look at Brietta Hook. She caught my wand, all right. But it's not mine anymore. It's pink and gold, and her hair has pink streaks in it as well, her silver eyes now with sunlight and rose flecks.

Brietta's earned her wand. 

________________________________

EEEE!!!

I know not many people read this, but I'm grateful for every one. GodsEmojiGirl sorry I forgot to tag you before now!! 

Also for anyone who didn't see my shpeil yesterday: i GOT UNLOCKED, KEEPER 8.5 YESTERDAY AND I FINISHED IT IN UNDER 12 HOURS BECAUSE I'M THAT FREAKING INVESTED IN THIS SERIEEEESSSSS MY LITTLE BABIES ARE ALL GROWING UP AND I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT AND AAAAAAGH KEEFE I WANT TO GIVE YOU A HUG!!!!

Someday I hope to write something as good as KOTLC. I'm sure trying! (not with my Descendants fanfics, those are more for fun. Not that I didn't TRY to do well with these)

BUT THE ART IN THAT BOOK!!! GAH!!!! I loved seeing Keefe's memories soooosooosooososososo much. My favorites were Keefe, Sandor, and Sophie light-leaping with the pink star----Keefe, Sophie, and Edaline after the fall of Lumenaria----and Keefe, Sophie, and Silveny from book 2. GAH! SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

*spoilers beware below*

I totally called Keefe being able to sense abilities tho. Like the minute I heard Lex's hands were freezing, I was like "He did NOT just do that. Lex is a Froster!" couldn't figure out what 'squishy' hands meant, but I knew what Rex's meant and it broke my heart. AND I WAS RIGHT!!!!! GAH!

Also Keefe at the end with Grady....  my heart.