Chapter 1 - Stage Owens and Cards McKay (Canon Era)

Start from the beginning

"We're gonna go to Brooklyn" Cards answers, smirking a bit to herself.

"So you're going to Brooklyn, and I'll look after the littles. Got it!" Stage agrees. Cards throws her a look as if to say 'you know that's not what I mean'.

"Nope. Charlie said he would watch the boys, and Monday night we're gonna hang out" Cards informs her best friend, who nods.

"Do I have to talk to people?" Stage questions. Cards rolls her eyes.

"Stage. Really?" She deadpans. Stage shrugs. "These guys are like my brothers."

"I know, but that doesn't make them any less scary." Stage responds. "Besides, I don't want to be social!"

"You're being social right now, and were earlier."

"Cards!"

"Stage!" Cards playfully mocks her voice. Stage pouts. "Come on, it's not that bad. Besides, I'll always be there to protect you."

"Fine. I'll come with you" Stage gives in. Cards knew that Stage caves easily, unless it's something dangerous, but Cards couldn't put her in any danger, neither would Stage for Cards.

"Great! I think they'll like you" Cards tells Stage, who looks uncertain.

"They're the toughest borough in New York, what makes you think they'll like the innocent, weak, ball of anxiety that is me?" Stage asks, deadpanning at her friend.

"You've never been to Brooklyn before, right?" Cards questions. Stage turns to her.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Just answer the question Stage."

"I haven't."

"You're gonna like Smokes and Tumbler." Cards tells Stage, who looks at her confused. "You'll meet them tomorrow."

"One request" Stage starts. Cards groans.

"Oh God."

"I don't have to meet the King of Brooklyn?" Stage crosses her fingers, but she probably already knew the answer.

"You can call him by his name." Cards deadpans. Stage shakes her head. "Come on Stage, he doesn't beat up innocent people. He only beats up people who hurt his Newsies or someone he loves."

"Like Race" Stage whispers, smirking a bit to herself. Cards laughs.

"He tell you?"

"He tells me everything" Stage replies. Cards laughs again.

"Anyway, you sell all of your papes today?" Cards asks Stage, who shakes her head, pulling three papers out of her pocket.

Stage usually only sold 50 papers, while Cards usually sold around 75 to 100. Cards was better at selling than Stage was, and she admitted that.

"Nah." Stage responds. "You?"

"I did. 85 today" Cards informs Stage, who nods.

"I probably could've guessed that you did." Stage points out, laughing a bit. Cards laughs too. "You are definitely the better seller."

"Don't day that, you're pretty good too." Cards responds. Stage throws her a look, and she sighs. "Fine. I'm the better seller."

"Spark!" Stage shouts. He groans, coming over and handing Stage a penny. "Thank you."

Spark rolls his eyes, and leaves. Stage sticks the penny back into his pocket without him knowing, as Cards chuckles.

"Firstly, what did you bet on?" Cards asks, turning back to Stage.

"If I could get you to admit that you're the better seller, which you are" Stage answers, putting an innocent look on her face.

"Secondly, since when do you bet?" Cards questions. Stage smiles a bit to herself, turning away from Cards.

"Race isn't a great influence" She responds, shrugging. She starts to run off.

"Stage!"

"See you later Cards!" Stage yells as she runs off to Manhattan.

Cards sighs, taking off her bandana that pushed her hair back and running her fingers through her hair, as the other boys and girls around her laughed.

"I swear this girl gets more childlike by the day."

"She's an idiot, but she's my idiot. My Partner in Crime."

1112 Words
I'm so excited to write the next chapter!