Holy Smoke

PONYBOY'S POV

I've grown up with smoking all around me. My dad smoked like a chimney, my ma never liked it too much, but she accepted it. Darry started smoking when he was around my age, though he never really did it much. I would see him light a stick maybe once a month. Soda never really got into it either. I'm a different story I guess. I started smoking when my parents died as a coping mechanism. It picked up really quick, going from one or two a week, to six or seven a day. I do it when I'm stressed, upset or just bored. I know it's bad for you, but everyone in the gang does it, and Darry doesn't seem to mind too much. Or so I thought...

It was a normal Saturday afternoon, I didn't have too much planned for today, I'd probably go hang with Johnny at some point but right now I was laying on the couch reading The Invisible Man. I had a cigarette in one hand, letting the smoke blow out of the window, and used my other hand to keep the book open. It was my fourth cigarette that day, though I didn't see a problem with it.

"I'm heading out!" Soda yelled through the house as he rushed from the bathroom to the front door.

"Whoa wait a minute." Darry called and came out of his room.

Soda was facing me so he dramatically rolled his eyes, though when he turned around to face Darry he put a smile on his face. "What?" Soda asked and inched his way towards the door.

"Where ya heading?" Darry walked into the kitchen and started making some coffee.

"Out." Now that Darry was out of sight Soda turned to me and dramatically widened his eyes and threw his hands up.

I had to bite my lip to keep myself from laughing. "Yeah you said that." Darry laughed. "I asked where."

"Going to catch a movie with Sandy." Soda sounded super annoyed and kept itching towards the door. "I'm late, can I go now?"

Darry walked out of the kitchen, slowly taking a sip of his coffee. I could tell Soda was getting more annoyed with every second Darry was keeping him here, and Darry was doing his best to drag the conversion out. "How about you watch your attitude." Darry stated simply.

"Yeah got it." Soda nodded. "Can I go?"

"I don't think so." Darry smirked a little.

"What? Why?" Soda was getting seriously pissed now.

"I'm kidding." Darry laughed. "Go on." He waved towards the door.

"Thanks." Soda finally made his way out the door. "Geez." I heard him mutter and then heard the door slam shut.

"Don't slam the door!" Darry yelled but got no response. He walked over to me, shaking his head. "What's up with him?" Darry pushed my feet off the couch and then sat where they just were. I smiled at him and shrugged then went back to my book. "Hey, what'd I tell ya about smoking in the house?" Darry said, finally acknowledging my cigarette.

"The window is open." I said innocently.

"Take it outside." Darry pointed to the door and then grabbed the newspaper that was the coffee table. I got up and headed for the door. "Wait." Darry grabbed my arm. "What is that, your second, third one today?"

"Something like that." I shrugged and brought it to my lips. Darry ripped it out of my fingers just as the tip reached my mouth. "Hey!" I reached for it back.

"Pony it's not even noon yet." Darry got up and threw it on the porch and then stomped it out. "You're smoking too much." Darry told me as he came back inside.

"No, I'm not. I smoke a normal amount." I sighed and threw myself back onto the couch next to him.

"No you're not. You go through a pack every other day." Darry picked his newspaper back up and began reading it.