12. The Opposite of Broken

There's hair in Mina's mouth.

"...gurgfk," Mina batting at the offending hair. Her fingers catched soft skin instead, the curve of an ear.

The bed shifts strangely below and Mina blinks herself awake.

Even in sleep, Mina has not forgotten that Dahyun is there. Even when she's dreaming, she's always subconsciously aware of Dahyun's presence, the warmth of Dahyun's body close to her. So Mina could not say she was all that shocked to wake up with Dahyun beside her. Pleasantly surprised, but not shocked.

Mina has not, however, expecting Dahyun to be quite this close as she is right now. Dahyun's hair spread out in a brown, silky sheet over her shoulder and directly in front of Mina's face, the tips of her long hair tickling Mina's nose. Dahyun is cuddled as close to Mina on the bed as humanly possible without clinging like a limpet. One of Dahyun's feet is hooked around Mina's, and Dahyun's fingers were still threaded through her.

Mina blows the hair from her lips, rolling slightly away and untangling her foot. Dahyun huffs and when Mina tries to unhook her fingers from Dahyun's, she gives a sleepy whine and wakes up, blinking up at Mina fuzzily, confuse.

"Good morning," Mina greets, voice unintentionally soft as Dahyun flutters her eyelashes, staring at Mina like she isn't quite sure how Mina has gotten there.

"Minari?'' Dahyun asks, sounding strangely unsure of herself.

"Yeah." Mina finds herself smiling because Dahyun isn't, and one of them should, right? "Minari."

Dahyun's face breaks out into a responding grin and she clenches her fingers tighter around Mina's. "Minari! Good morning!"

"I think that might be the first time it's actually been morning when you've said that," Mina observes, not all put off when Dahyun won't let her have her hand back.

Dahyun hardly seems concern by the time of day. She watches Mina with fondness, her eyes bright for such an early hour. There are creases from the fabric of the pillow on Dahyun's cheek, her hair uncombed and her lips dry and chapped looking. Mina watches her back, feeling just as fond and with hair just as messy as Dahyun's.

"Oh!" Dahyun's eyes suddenly went wide and she bits her bottom lip nervously as she reaches for something. Dahyun's fingers meet Mina's forearm and Mina turns as Dahyun runs her thumb in a soothing motion against Mina's skin.

"Don't hurt," Dahyun says. "I won't let you hurt."

"What?" Dahyun's eyes are big and worried, maybe scared. Mina would have reached out to... something. To comfort her, but Dahyun has her fingers wrap desperately around her arm and Mina thinks Dahyun wouldn't appreciate her moving it away.

Dahyun runs the pads of her fingers over Mina's skin, making her shiver and recoil in turn. The shallow cut from the night before stings as Dahyun touches it and when Mina flinches away involuntarily, Dahyun flinches back too.

"Sorry!" Dahyun immediately responds, hand frozen in the air above Mina's arm, clenching and unclenching awkwardly. "Sorry. I'm sorry."

"It's just a cut," Mina assures her, because Dahyun seems like she's really worried, unsure of herself in a way Mina rarely ever sees her. "Hey, it's okay." She grabs Dahyun's hand again, cupping her fingers and stroking Dahyun's knuckles with her thumb in an imitation of Dahyun herself.

Mina has never comforted another person before but maybe Dahyun could teach her.

"I'll fix it," Dahyun says with wide eyes, slipping out of the bed before Mina can stop her. "Come here, I'll fix you."