9. Friends of Friends

"I hate you," Mina said to her flimsy coffee cup. It's eight in the morning and Cocoa's had just opened. Mina is being forced to work another weekend shift. The air smoggy and disgusting, sticking to her skin, suffocating. The cars outside the store were too loud and Mina's iPod is out of batteries. "I hate you so much."

The coffee cup of course could not respond.

Mina just glares harder.

"I hate you too," comes the respond from Jihyo, who's sitting opposite of Mina, flipping pages after pages in her brightly colored magazine.

"Not you." Mina frowns at the cover of the magazine, trying to recognize any of the faces of the celebrities. "The coffee. I hate the coffee."

Jihyo glances disinterestedly at Mina's white Styrofoam cup. "Sure," she says, looking down at her magazine again. "You're pissy because of coffee. That makes sense."

Mina frowns deeper, examining the cup. It's plain and white, the coffee inside has gone cold already. Boring and hardly worthy of being the bane of Mina's existence.

Of course, if Mina doesn't blame the coffee she'd have to admit to the real reason she's feeling irritable, which doesn't usually happen to be the time of morning or even the cold coffee she is force to sell. The reason of course is Dahyun.

If Mina is not twenty, she would have been sure Dahyun is going to give her gray hair. At the very least, Dahyun is making her pull her hair out.

The previous night Dahyun seemed confused when she left, talking quietly about things that Mina didn't understand, and of course Dahyun always talked in a way Mina could hardly understand, but last night was different, it felt different, like maybe even Dahyun didn't know what she was talking about.

The last place Mina wanted to be now is at Cocoa's. Or anywhere that is not with Dahyun, really.

The sound of the bell made Mina shifts her glare from the Styrofoam cup to the small woman walking towards her.

"Good morning," the woman said with faux cheerfulness. "I'd like—"

"Screw off," Mina snaps, narrowing her eyes at the customer's mousy little face. Short blonde hair and brown eyes, a dressed in a neat blue dress. Not Dahyun. "Starbucks is down the street."

Not Dahyun blinked a few times, glancing from Mina to Jihyo, who still has not look up from her magazine. "But I don't want Star—"

"Screw off!" Mina yells, and Not Dahyun quickly turns tail and all but runs out of the door.

Mina promptly goes back to glaring at her coffee.

"I hate you."

——-

Mina worries about Dahyun for the long hours she spent working at Cocoa's, couldn't take her mind off of Dahyun or Mark all day, if there ever was a Mark. She kept worrying and waiting for hours until Dahyun finally came that night and she couldn't stop herself from smiling widely.