8. Headbands and Sweatshirts

'Mornings', Mina thought to herself as she leans against the door frame of the guest room and watches as Dahyun mumbles sleepily into her pillow. All mornings should be like this, the quiet drizzle of rain rolling off the rooftop above and soft light just managing to shine through the gauzy curtains, reflecting off Dahyun's brown hair and parted lips. If all mornings were like this, Mina wouldn't mind getting out of bed quite as much.

But all mornings could not be like this, Mina reminds herself.

"Dahyun," Mina calls after, voice still rough with sleep. "It's morning."

Dahyun makes a soft noise, moving comfortably below the thick white comforter.

"Time to get up," Mina calls out louder, a smile tugs at the corners of her lips. "Don't you want breakfast?"

Dahyun just huffs again, rolling so she was facing further away from Mina. "Nruphle..." mumbles Dahyun – or at least that's what it sounds like to Mina.

She allows herself a full blown smile now. "You can't stay here. I have to work," Mina reason out.

''Minari...'' Dahyun drags, and Mina bit her lip uncertainly.

"Right," she says. "I guess you can stay, then." What's the worst that could happen? She only has to work for a few hours, maybe Dahyun would spend the whole day sleeping.

"Just stay out of trouble," Mina told the sleepy lump of silky brown hair. "I'll be back before noon, okay?"

Dahyun only responds with a soft hum that Mina was going to take as a green light and so she shuts the door quietly behind her.

Preparing the food for the strays in the kitchen, Mina can't seem to wipe the smile off her face. It pulls at the underused muscles in her cheeks, making them ache.

"aigo pls stop.'' Mina whispered to herself, setting the food down for the strays that were waiting on the back porch.

Dub seems anxious, meowing sadly, Mina looks at her with worried brown eyes. For the first time, Mina reaches out to pet her.

——-

Mina should never, never have left Dahyun alone in her house.

She didn't want to go to work in the first place, not with Dahyun all warm and cozy in her guest room. She's not even supposed to work today; another barista had quit because she was offered a better job at Starbucks and Mina was called in for a few hours to fill in her shift. She would have said no, as Mina is a firm believer that weekends are meant to be spent for nothing more than watching TV, infomercials, cheesy puffs and cheesy movies, but Mina had been skipping out on Cocoa's much too often since the day she met Dahyun. Not only is her manager severely displeased but Mrs. Lee keeps extensive tabs on all her neighbors and when Mina didn't leave for work in the mornings, she would all too often came over to ask why.

Probably hoping she'd dropped dead.

Still, when Mina stepped through her door after work and she was greeted with Dahyun's smiling face it became all too clear that she should have stayed home anyway.

"Omo, what did you do?"

Dahyun just blink innocently back at her. Her brown hair perfectly brushed, and there's a huge and shocking orange headband attached to her head.

"Don't I look pretty?" Dahyun asked, trying to turn her head to see her headband.

"What did you..How did you-''