Part 2 - He loves me...

When Anne returned to Green Gables, it was late afternoon. With the utmost discretion, she tried to sneak into the house without being seen, so she went through the door leading into the living room.

Unfortunately for the girl, Matthew was there, sitting in an armchair, reading a book.

"Oh, I thought you were resting in your room?", said Matthew innocently, but he was surprised to see her arrive with a dress in her hand and ribbons in her hair.

"Oh, Matthew, I... I was actually at Diana's house, to...", she replied, glancing at the sky-blue dress she was holding in her arms.

"What is...?", he tried to ask without knowing how to finish his question, he gestured with his index finger towards his hair, he was apparently referring to her ribbons rolled up in her hair.

"Oh this... it was Diana, who lent me her ribbons, and it was also she who wrapped the ribbons in my hair, I had never tried to curl myself."

"These ribbons, this hairstyle, is it for tomorrow?", asked the old man naively.

"Of course not, it's to have nice curls in the morning, I would only sleep one night with the ribbons.", She laughed and explained that she knew that he was not interested in these coquetries. And it is not with Marilla that he would have heard about it.

"Oh, I see.", He simply replied, his eyes a little lost, even if he didn't understand these things, he knew they were important to Anne.

The young redhead said in a worried tone, "But, Ma-Marilla must not know that I was at Diana's house, can we keep this between us, Matthew?"

"She'll wonder how you got that dress.", answered the pragmatic old man.

Suddenly Marilla entered in the living room, "Well, what's going on here? Supper will be ready in an hour."

The young redhead was so panicked, she stammered, "Oh Ma-Marilla! Uh, Diana brought it to me!", and then she quickly climbed the stairs to get upstairs.

Matthew glanced at his sister, he was just as confused as she was.

The next morning, the Cuthberts got up at dawn and all dressed elegantly for the day, which was in some ways the event of the year.

Matthew tried his best to fix his hair in front of the mirror, and then once he was ready he went to polish his radish so that it would be perfect for the contest.

While Marilla carefully chose her best plum puffs, placing them as delicately as possible in her wicker basket.

Anne was particularly excited about the day, she was still in her room in front of the mirror undoing her ribbons, seeing her hair with curls so beautifully filled her with joy. But the girl was also in the grip of great questioning. Indeed, feelings were also running through her head, she had realized something yesterday at Diana's house. Did she have a crush on Gilbert? Her friend may have taken all the precautions necessary before asking her famous question, but she felt like she had been slapped in her face. 

Once all her ribbons were removed and her sky-blue dress put on, she was almost ready. Then she remembered that Diana had lent her a pretty sky blue ribbon that matched her dress perfectly, so she tied a beautiful knot in her hair, and then nervous she left her room.

Later, she found herself in the barn, sitting on a wooden railing. She was stripping the petals off a daisy, and with each petal she pulled out, she said, "He loves me... He loves me not."

She sighed, then declared dreamy, as she looked at the foal standing next to her, "Perhaps love unfolds out of a burgeoning friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slips from its green sheath..."