Part 5 - While we were dancing around us

The sun was setting, and it was time to go to the barn where the county dance was taking place. Anne walked arm in arm with her friend Diana, she had so much to tell her before joining the party, that they had insisted with their families to walk to the barn together. They took a small path through a small grove.

"Oh Anne... I'm so sorry for you. But... something is confusing me...", said the young brunette frowning.

"Confused? Why?", Said Anne.

"Well... If Gilbert is really courting this girl, there are other really surprising signs."

"Oh, don't mention it, Diana, I stopped looking for signs, I've learned there's nothing reliable in there."

"Well, regardless... If I put the facts together, it's a lot."

A bittersweet laugh sounded, the young redhead seemed completely resigned, "Your overactive imagination is playing tricks on you too, Diana, I think it's from being around me..."

"I'm only talking about facts, not about interpretations.", replied her friend who seemed more pragmatic than ever, she then began to enumerate the facts, "First ... You and Gilbert, you took the road this morning only both of you. Then he decides to make you a surprise that I find rather romantic. Oh, Anne, I even think it's outrageously romantic, he picked you a flower! He made this detour just for you..."

"It was just a good luck charm, there was no romantic intent.", Anne pointed out who couldn't convince herself of the contrary.

"Well, suppose you're right. But once arrived at the fair, he stays with you, and even when a certain Lady arrives, he takes care later, to find you to be sure that you are well.", She concluded with a small smile.

"I feel like I'm talking to Ruby... He was acting as a friend, nothing more. Winifred had had to leave, and he was just bringing me my hat back."

"Well maybe, but he invited you aboard the balloon. He invited you, not Winifred..."

"As I just told you, Winifred had left him to join her parents."

The young brunette sighed, annoyed, "When you threw his flower overboard, he stopped talking to you suddenly, there was a coldness between you two. I guess for this, you have no explanation?"

"Oh Diana please, it's completely useless to look for explanations or to analyze his behavior. In any case, it wasn't me he took by the arm, it wasn't me he invited to have tea date. He must have seen her every week...for months."

"Yourself, you see him almost every day..."

"Well...he had even more opportunities to let me know his intentions."

"However what you told me yesterday... You know, the dancing at school, you said that-"

She interrupted her curtly, evidently not wanting to talk about it anymore, "He hated dancing. He said it was a waste of time. "

"He really said that?", asked Diana who didn't expect that, she stopped in her walk.

Anne continued to walk, she tried to explain, her eyes glued to the ground, "I can't blame him, I thought the same way... But then he...", The redhead paused, she suddenly thought back to the young boy's words.

"He?"

"He had said he didn't find it unpleasant to dance with... me. But I can see you coming to your conclusions, there's no way...", She searched for her words again.

Then Diana took the opportunity to give again her perspective about this situation, she seemed upset, "This boy! He has to... He's clearly playing both sides, it's unbearable! He doesn't even realize that..."